The Twelve Hopostles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EKG was really nice, classic English IPA. Amazing how different it is. Malt forward but pleasant earthiness. Balanced.

Judas rivals Cascade for my favorite thus far. The little bit of dark malt is definitely noticeable and brings out some dark fruitiness...very interesting with the First Gold...a bit of spice, but not like Saaz, more like cinnamon/orange zest or something. Trying to nail down the flavors, but my tongue betrays me. Lots of complexity.

Sorachi Ace was great. Lemons, as advertised. Not like a shandy, more of a lemon zest/herb essence. Very nice. Saving #2 for a hot, muggy day.

Review of John, 4.15.2012

Saint John - Zeus IPA

Aroma: 6/12
Not much of a hop presence. Clean malt and a bit of pine with caramel and savory spices. Not very much going on or particularly vibrant.​

Appearance: 2/3
Light amber with an off-white head. Poured around one finger of head and dissipated normally. Surface looks viscous. Lacing is good.​

Flavor: 16/20
Malt is firm and supports the hops well. Toasted sweet bread. Hops are mix of pine and orange zest. Bitterness is firm but very smooth and balanced without many highs or lows. A good solid IPA that you cold drink a lot of.​

Mouthfeel: 5/5
Exactly as I like it. Good and full, coating the mouth nicely, and clearing crisply onthe finish without a lingering film in the mouth. Perfectly effervescent without being bubbly.​

Overall: 8/10
A really nice IPA. Very balanced and great for drinking. The hops were not altogether prominent and dominant but they worked very well and were pleasant.​

Total: 37/50

Review of Judas, 4.15.2012

Judas Iscariot - First Gold IPA

Aroma: 8/12
Clean malt, earthy, grassy, caramel, pepper.​

Appearance: 3/3
Beautiful deep black as dark as the soul of a traitor. Nice tan head.​

Flavor: 13/20
Mint, rich earth, a bit of toasted bread, no sweetness at all, fresh herbs. It has a bit of a dirty and muddled mid-palate that bungles the cleanness that would have otherwise been very nice.​

Great.​

Overall: 6/10
The surprise black IPA is great. Good beer to drink, with a great aroma and a nice start to the drink. The mid-palate took it away from being great (still a good beer).​

Total: 35/50

Review of James the Greater, 4.16.2012

Saint James the Greater - Cascade IPA

Aroma: 11/12
Great hop presence. Fresh, vibrant, full of spice and citrus.​

Nice amber beer with a fine off-white head. Could be a bit more clear. Average head retention and lacing.​

Flavor: 13/20
The hops are great up front. Fresh citrus zest and spice with rounded malt to back it up. A bit boozy on the finish. The ending isn't great.​

Great.​

Overall: 6.5/10
This one could have been really good, but the finish was a bit weak for me and I think that is a big deal. The finish of a beer is what leaves a lasting image and for me that was not the bright hops of the start, but the booze and weak finish. Still a fine beer because the begining of each sip and the aroma are phenomenal.​

Total: 37.5/50

Review of Thomas, 4.16.2012

Saint Thomas - EKG IPA

Aroma: 10/12
Fresh bread, caramel, apricots, fruity. A great smell indeed.​

Amber beer, off-white head with average retention and lacing. Again, could be a bit clearer for my liking.​

Flavor: 18/20
Apricots, bitter fruit (like an unripe apple in a good way), malty. Generally leaves a subtle fruit impression while providing balanced bitterness and a strong malt character.​

Great.​

A really loved this beer. Subtle fruit come from the hops in this one. A really interesting beer without being brash and over-the-top in any one area. Could drinkt em all night without thinking twice, or sit and opine about its subtleties in a leather chair for an hour. This is my kind of beer.​

Total: 43/50

Review of Philip, 4.17.2012

Saint Philip - Saaz IPA

Fresh hay, light pepper, and rich malt. Very intriguing and pulls you into each sip.​

Amber beer, off-white head, needs to be a bit clearer.​

Flavor: 12/20
Fresh tasting, like the aroma. The malt drives the flavor with notes of fresh hay and spring with herbs.​

Great.​

Balanced, all around fine beer, but a bit uninspiring.​

Total: 33/50

Review of Matthew, 4.17.2012

Saint Mathew - Sorachi Ace IPA

Creme Brulee and sweets, caramel candies, butter. Very odd, but makes me want to drink it.​

Pretty nice amber beer, off-white head, average head and lacing. Cold be more clear.​

Flavor: 15/20
Popped corn lends a sweetness. Could be diacetyl but it doesn't really taste like that. Strong lemon balances the sweetness.​

Very bright on the palate, and overall very interesting.​

Total: 38/50

Review of Bart, 4.19.2012

Saint Bartholomew- Organic Fuggle IPA

Aroma: 5/12
Light caramel. Not much happening here.​

Pretty nice amber beer, off-white head, average head and lacing. Cold be more clear.​

Flavor: 10/20
Smooth, rich bitterness without a lot oof hop flavor. Tastes of oats and herbs. meh.​

Nice.​

Overall: 5/10
Clean and technically sound but very meh.​

Total: 27/50

Review of Andrew, 4.17.2012

Saint Andrew- Hallertauer IPA

Aroma: 7/12
Chocolate, caramel, fruit (figs). Smells rich and full.​

Pretty nice amber beer, off-white head, average head and lacing. Could be more clear, but this is a very appetizing presentation.​

Herbal, tannic, fresh hay, a slight hint of citrus pith and almost a hot pepper (habenero) fruit quality. Malt is in the backseat.​

Nice.​

Very interesting, easy drinking but a bit strong on the booze character.​

Total: 40/50

Review of Jude, 4.19.2012

Saint Jude- Simcoe IPA

Pungent hops! Pine sap, dant, wet orange. Very bright and vibrant smells.​

Pretty nice amber beer, off-white head, average head and lacing. Could be more clear.​

The hops really jump on the palate. Pine, very nice malt and the bitterness is well balanced.​

Nice.​

Yum. I'll have another.​

Total: 43/50

Review of James the Lesser, 5.6.2012

Saint James the Lesser- Amarillo IPA

Aroma: 11/12
Freshness. Citrus and tropical fruit with a bit of spice. Lots of fruitiness.​

Flavor: 17/20
Crisp citrus (lime and orange) with peppery spice. Malt balances but doesn't star.​

Nice.​

Great drink.​

Total: 42/50

Review of Simon, 5.11.2012

Saint Simon- Centennial IPA

Floral with orange notes. A bit of white pepper.​

Lots of citrus and floral notes but the hops taste too raw. Maybe too vegital???​

Nice.​

Nice, but the hops are too vegital and harsh, might improve with a couple more weeks aging.​

Total: 31/50

Review of Peter, 4.21.2012

Saint Peter- Vanguard IPA

Toast, a bit of chocolate. Very clean and crisp, maybe a touch of basil or other herbs.​

Appearance: 3/3
Pretty nice amber beer, off-white head, good head and lacing. Nice clarity.​

The bitterness is a bit assertive, acidity is nice. The hop flavor is grassy with herbs.​

Mouthfeel: 2/5
The bitterness is felt int he back of the throat.​

Everything is nice except the harsh bitterness​

Total: 31/50

Great reviews. Having tried all 12, the reviews are spot on.

I've found that, with some age, the hop aroma has faded on some and the amber malt starts to take over.

This is an amazing thread. You are to be commended for your thoroughness, attention to detail and dedication, not to
mention superb realization of an incredible idea. Bravo sir!

A couple of the reviews surprised me. I'm still a newb, but surprised to hear how great the Hallertauer one ranked and how low the Centennial ranked. My favorite IPA is centennial only so it sounds like I have an IPA education about to begin!

Anyone have these in a .bsmx file? I tried to import the .bsm files at the beginning of the thread into Beersmith 2 and I keep getting an import error.

Hi guys it looks like I'm reviving this post. I had a bunch of hallertauer lying around and looking around the internet for a nice recipe to make use of them I found the St Andrews IPA and my immediate thought was "what a great idea!". So I just brewed it last week and I'm really hoping this turns out well. I'll keep you posted about how it went. Cheers

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JoaoPCF/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-30%20at%202.06.34%20am.png.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JoaoPCF/media/DSC02437.jpg.html

Latest posts

Back