Old Ale and Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I brewed up my Old Ale on Sunday and it's fermenting nicely as I type, The recipe was:

10.8 lbs 2-row
1.2 lbs Munich
0.6 lb Crystal 75
0.6 lb Crystal 120

Why the odd pounds? See here: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12480

0.75 oz Target 11.5% 75 min
0.5 oz Willamette 4.6% 15 min
0.5 oz EKG 6.0% 15 min
0.5 oz Willamette 5 min
0.25 oz EKG 5 min

White Labs 002 English Ale Yeast

OG: 1.069
SRM: 15
IBU: 40

My question is that I'm debating whether or not to spike the brew with some WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii in the secondary. The Old Ale style does allow for the flavors especially because the old English aging process produced it naturally. I have never used any Brett before and I was wondering if you guys had some experience, suggestions and comments on taste. This being a practically free brew, I thought I might experiment a bit.

I know nothing about that strain or this spiking business.
But I would think that if the original process produced the Brett naturally, and you have no way of influencing that process, then the next best thing would be to artificially ensiminate (sp?) the beer.
I have read that when introducing these types of cultures into a batch (as w/ a Belgian) it is often a good idea to use seperate equipment b/c such bacteria can 'contaminate' your next brew that it would be undesirable in.
Good luck Smith.

Brett tastes like a horse blanket. If you are into that sort of thing, go for it. If I were you, I'd save that stuff for the odd lambics, etc.

Or - take a gallon of wort off of your old ale and use it as an experimental batch. Innoculate this with Brett. This way you don't ruin an entire batch :p .

I heard (I think Vinny Chilurzo from Russian River said it) that if you use brett, you need to have a separate set of everything plastic for it, ie. tubing, buckets etc in your brew setup, so that there can be no cross-contamination. Apparently, it's almost impossible to totally get rid of.

I've heard of the "horse blanket" thing before, I'm just wanting to hear from anyone who has actually done it. Thanks for the heads up on the plastic tubing. The carboy would be glass, but I'll pick up another racking cane and hose if I do go ahead and do it. From the lack of response here it seems like a good experiment to try. Maybe I'll do a gallon or so and leave the rest untouched.

Latest posts

Back