02 aeration (oxygenation?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do I actually need to use this method? Just the small 02 tank ($10?), a regulator ($20?) and some tubing ($6-10) to run from the regulator to the bottom of the bucket? Do they sell everything I need at home depot or ace hardware?

Thanks in advance!

the regulator is left hand threads so is the O2 bottle. The oxygen acetylene torch set at HD runs about 49 bucks. Unless you have use for one better to buy the kit from Williams or other vendor

And an O2 set up isnt required you can aerate by shaking or just using a wire whisk. Some here have great results with the paint stirrers up put on an electric drill all will work . I use o2 because I am lazy ...

You'll also need a stainless aeration/diffusion stone to attach to the end of the hose in the wort. The stone will break up the oxygen into very tiny bubbles and allow it to be absorbed by the wort more easily. Without the stone on the end of the hose you'll end up wasting a lot of O2.

At Northern Brewer they have a o2 kit for $36.00

EconoOxy.jpg

Then you just need the $10 disposable tank.

haha, yeah. I thought I'd just have to buy the $120 kit. Then I needed an 8 huge kettle. Then I needed some more fermenters, a chiller, a MLT, now O2...it never ends!

I think the kit from Williams is worth the extra $10. The SS rod makes sure that the stone stays at the bottom of the carboy and doesn't float to the top while pumping in O2. I have no complaints about mine.

I toyed with the idea of using pure o2 for aeration, but when you look at the data from studies they have done, shaking will do just as well if not better, it just takes more work. (I'm sure it can be debated)

Having said that, I just bought a drill mounted "degasser" that I used for the first time yesterday, and I must say it took a little trial and error to figure out exactly how to get it to aerate, but once I got the hang of it I had about 3" of foam on top of my wort. My APA took off kind of slowly, but I am hoping that with the increased amount of o2 in the wort the yeasties are taking some extra time to reproduce before getting the munchies and chewing up all the sugars.

I was a little disappointed with its cost though like $35, I know the oxygen kits aren't too much more, but you have to buy oxygen, so in the long haul it is an additional cost, and IMO if you can get similar results that are just as good, why spend the extra $$$.

FYI I'm a cheap bastard!:D

I just poured it back and fourth a few times on my latest brew and the airlock starting going about 6 hours later. Maybe I'll just wait on this one.

Yeah the most recent issue of BYO has an article on Oxygenation/Aeartion, of course most commercial breweries and brew pubs use the in-line oxygenation system, which is really cool. Of course they say the most efficient way to oxygenate is to use pure o2 and a SS aeration stone (isn't that an oxymoron SS/Stone) anyhow, it is much less work and takes only a minute or two to oxygenate 5 gallons of wort.

But I am with you, I will save the oxygen wand when I get setup for AG.

My APA took off kind of slowly, but I am hoping that with the increased amount of o2 in the wort the yeasties are taking some extra time to reproduce before getting the munchies and chewing up all the sugars.
I think that's about right. AFAIK, using pure O2 increases the lag time a little (because the yeast reproduce more) but once fermentation kicks in it goes faster (because there are more yeast cells fermenting). BobbyM has some videos that, I think, show this.

Back