Miller Home Draft Minikegs About to go extinct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clengman

Reaction score
I was looking for a low cost way to keg homemade cider and came across the discussions of the Tap-a-Draft systems and the miller/coors Home Draft thingies (MCHDT). I decided to try to locate a MCHDT, called several distributors in the pittsburgh area and got several replies that they normally carry them but don't have any in stock. Called another place and the proprietor called his miller supplier who said that they had 9 in inventory that were recently expired and couldn't be sold and that the item was discontinued!

I called several more distributors and was lucky enough to find one (and only one) that had a few still in stock. I bought them up. So for less than the price of the TAD starter kit from Midwest, I have 3 taps, 3 bottles and about 4.5 gallons of mediocre beer.

Just thought I'd put out a little alert for anyone that was thinking of using this system. They may no longer be easy to come by.

Cheers,
Carl

Mediocre is an awful generous description :)

I tried this same thing last summer, but had problems with the tap leaking CO2. I also had a tough time finding 18g (I think) cartridges for a reasonable price.

Mediocre is an awful generous description :)

I'm hoping I can manage to choke them down. :)

I tried this same thing last summer, but had problems with the tap leaking CO2. I also had a tough time finding 18g (I think) cartridges for a reasonable price.

They're 16g cartridges. What brand did you try? I imagine the best way is to use the ones they sell at midwest supply. Leland brand 16g CO2 cartridges, pack of six for $9. I think they carry them at my LHBS. I'm thinking I may try to hook them up to a cheap regulator and a 5 lb bottle, though, instead of the little seltzer chargers.

I have a TAD that I used twice before going the full keezer route. I'd be willing to sell on the cheap if interested. Say, $20 for the tap and 3 jugs, plus whatever shipping turns out to be. PM me if interested.

Back