your go to recipe - repeats only!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
There are a ton of recipes on this site. I can usually tell some of the more popular ones by looking at the number of posts. But here's my question. What one or two (or three) recipes would you call your "go to" recipes? And by that, I don't mean that you always have them on tap necessarily, but they are regulars for you and you've made them repeatedly.

Minimum requirements are that you've done the same recipe at least 4-5 times (modifications are OK)!! Otherwise it's just a future go-to and doesn't count.

[EDIT] recipes or links to recipes please! Listing them off is great, but what does that do for us?

None yet! I like to brew to many different things. I am constantly tweaking a pale ale, but its not at the go to status yet...sorry for not answering, but looking forward to some of the recipe responses :)

My Pale Ale and IPA, My Bavarian and German Hefe, My Peach Wheat, and my Copper Ale, these are all standard rotations for me with no changes other than a hop swap due to availability. I've got a Belgian Blonde that is pretty close and I'm still trying to nail down my Holiday ale...

I'm pretty sure anything in Edwort's signature line would be worthy...I have made his Bee Cave Kolsch repeatedly. Delicious! and of course the legendary Apfelvein (sp) but I haven't repeated that one enough yet.

Commune Copper Ale:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.95 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 54.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.25 gal Chicago, IL Water 1 -
10 lbs 7.8 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 2 78.9 %
13.5 oz Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
11.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
9.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
8.5 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 Grain 6 4.0 %
2.5 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.2 %
1.31 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 44.3 IBUs
1.31 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 10.2 IBUs
0.31 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.31 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 11 -
1.3 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 12 -
2.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 4.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.40 gal of water at 163.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.79gal, 4.60gal) of 168.0 F water

If you brew it let me know what you think:)

That copper ale does look tasty, however, out of curiosity....are you one of those guys that keeps like 5lbs of every specialty malt on hand? Those are some very specific weights haha

60/40 pilsner and 2-row, up to an OG of 1.050ish (usually 10 pounds total grain) mashed way low, and hopped at 60 with whatever is lying around, up to around 40 or so IBU. Ferment cool with Kolsch yeast and it's the perfect lawnmower beer.

That and a two-hearted clone, but made with a combo of Simcoe, Citra, and Centennial.

my anchor steam clone. 5 gal batch

9.25# 2-row
1# crystal 60
2oz black patent malt
mash at 151
1oz northern brewer at 60
.5oz northern brewer at 15
.5oz norther brewer at 2

wyeast 1056 for me personally, but i suppose a cali common would do as well.

dry hop with .5oz northern brewer for a week.

pretty close to spot on, and i can't keep it on hand fast enough.

60/40 pilsner and 2-row, up to an OG of 1.050ish (usually 10 pounds total grain) mashed way low, and hopped at 60 with whatever is lying around, up to around 40 or so IBU. Ferment cool with Kolsch yeast and it's the perfect lawnmower beer.

I would try this! It's close to Edwort's kolsch but he uses Pils and wheat. I love Kolsch wheat. I try to keep some going at all times.

Hazelnut Bourbon Ale, using organic hazelnuts ground and ran through a french press, light LME, some caramel and crystal malts (maybe a pound and a half?), usually about 3 oz fuggles and citra hops, and a 5th of bourbon and some oak cubes tossed into the secondary after 3 weeks in the prime. I pitch American Ale Wyeast with a 1/4 cup of corn sugar as a primer in a one gallon sterile water dilution for the wort. This way the yeast gets started real nice and quick.

I let it age in the secondary where I add the oak and bourbon. Depending on the bourbon I may toss in a vanilla bean, sliced. Secondary I like to leave for up to 3 months, then prime with a cup of dark DME boiled with sterile water. I bottle condition for about a month.

It's definitely a little bit of a wait, so brew it up and forget about it for a minute! But you'll be pleasantly surprised when you end up with a 9-10% brew that tastes like bourbon, with the complete drinkability of a nice ale!

That copper ale does look tasty, however, out of curiosity....are you one of those guys that keeps like 5lbs of every specialty malt on hand? Those are some very specific weights haha

Thanks and no I am not, I am a good friend with the owner of my LHBS and just call in my recipes to him to put together for me un-milled. I usually call in 3-5 recipes at a time and he just bags everything up for me for pick up. I just don't have the room for bulk and he gives me a great discount

my anchor steam clone. 5 gal batch

9.25# 2-row
1# crystal 60
2oz black patent malt
mash at 151
1oz northern brewer at 60
.5oz northern brewer at 15
.5oz norther brewer at 2

dry hop with .5oz northern brewer for a week.

pretty close to spot on, and i can't keep it on hand fast enough.

What yeast? I love Wyeast 2112...I swear, it enhances citrusy hops like crazy, it's not just for steam beers!

dbrewski said:
I would try this! It's close to Edwort's kolsch but he uses Pils and wheat. I love Kolsch wheat. I try to keep some going at all times.

I definitely have to try EdWort's recipe soon. It sounds really good.

For comparison to Neosapien's steam beer, here is mine, and yes I've made it 5+ times.

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb wheat
1 lb crystal 40 (sometimes 60 depending on whim)
mash at 155

.5 oz Northern Brewer 60 min [EDIT: I did have .05 oz, typo]
1 oz Northern Brewer 10 min
1.5 oz Northern Brewer 5 min
1 oz Northern Brewer flameout

Chill quickly, pitch wyeast 2112, stick in ferment area at 68F.

yes I love the taste/aroma of Northern Brewer so this is a bit hop-bursted. Try using fresh leaf from Hopsdirect.com. Unbelievable.

Sorry, no link to a recipe on the site. My current multi-repeat (5 times over this past summer) is Oldsock's petite saison. Recipe found in BYO July-August 2011 issue. The most refreshing beer I've ever had!

BrewNow said:
Sorry, no link to a recipe on the site. My current multi-repeat (5 times over this past summer) is Oldsock's petite saison. Recipe found in BYO July-August 2011 issue. The most refreshing beer I've ever had!

I don't have a subscription. Can you at least outline the recipe?

I have a few constants at my house. The DFH clone is one I've made maybe two dozen times, and I'm drinking it now. I love the simcoe/amarillo combination with the low bitterness, so it's my house IPA. (And I mean I'm drinking it NOW, at this minute). The other one is oatmeal stout. I had a glass of that a few minutes ago, and I think I've brewed it 10 (+/-) times.

I also make my Fat Sam beer often, but I had retired it in April until someone asked me to brew it again. It's probably my most popular beer for friends.

All of these recipes are under my avatar in the recipe pull-down.

The Deception Cream Stout is the only batch (out of dozens) I've only brewed multiple times. It's awesome and my friends love it too. Even the light beer drinkers drink it, which really surprised me, so I keep brewing it!

cricky101 said:
The Deception Cream Stout is the only batch (out of dozens) I've only brewed multiple times. It's awesome and my friends love it too. Even the light beer drinkers drink it, which really surprised me, so I keep brewing it!

Recipe or link to recipe?

I make Yooper's House Pale Ale over and over and try to always have it on tap. My wife loves it (I think it's pretty tasty too).

WOW - 5 oz flameout and 5 oz dryhop for a 1.042 OG? You have made this and the malt bill supports it? I really want to make a good "session" ipa...4% ultra hoppy beer

Thanks for the WOW and bovineblitz for the post...I just went back and read the original thread on that recipe. Gonna have to try that one!

I'm working on an Americanized ordinary bitter that'll be a go to, and I've made this twice with slightly different dry hop bills based on availability (SO GOOD) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/stone-ballast-point-kelsey-mcnair-collaboration-201080/#post2343360

I have to say, this beer is something I will make again. My keg was kicked way too fast.

I subbed FF for the amarillo and simcoe @ 10min because I needed to use what I had, and galaxy and centennial in place of the simcoe and amarillo for the flameout and dry hop additions.

I have to say, this beer is something I will make again. My keg was kicked way too fast.

I subbed FF for the amarillo and simcoe @ 10min because I needed to use what I had, and galaxy and centennial in place of the simcoe and amarillo for the flameout and dry hop additions.

Nice, so between your substitutions and bovineblitz's it seems like the malt bill is solid and the hop bill is somewhat flexible to produce a tasty hop flavored session beer? I might have to give this a try with the hops i have on hand and can get my hands on.

WOW - 5 oz flameout and 5 oz dryhop for a 1.042 OG? You have made this and the malt bill supports it? I really want to make a good "session" ipa...4% ultra hoppy beer

Yes, it's fantastic. You should try it out. It's balanced in a similar way to an IPA. I think the key is the honey malt, it gives it a bit of sweetness to balance out all the hops.

You can ask questions in the other thread if you like, Kelsey responded to a couple of my questions previously.

My hops were Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook

My version of EdWort's Hefe

Type: All Grain Date: 9/29/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer: Ryan
Boil Size: 7.76 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
End of Boil Volume 6.76 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal Est Mash Efficiency 84.5 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.5 %
6 lbs 12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 61.4 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 34.1 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 9.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 3.1 IBUs
WLP531 Bavarian Here Yeast

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 12.3 IBUs Calories: 165.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
Sparge Water: 5.64 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 164.5 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 5.64 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 4.32 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4.32 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

I did a SMaSH Ale that I love too -- I came up with this after I read an article about showing restraint w grain bills. It took a lot of will power to only use Pilsner Malt and Saaz hops.

6 gal batch (so make hop adj accordingly)
100% Belgian Pilsner Malt to get you to about 1.050
1.00 oz Saaz 4.5% at 60
1.00 oz Saaz 4.5% at 30 or 20 you can mess around with this
and WLP575 w/ an appropriate starter (It is 3 belg strains combined, 1 is a saison strain).
Ferment at 62*- 65* (this is what I did, I am sure you could go a bit warmer if you wanted more of those belgian phenolics, I wanted mine to be a bit more tame so the pils and hallertau would shine).

Mash 153* 60 mins
I do a 60 minute boil, I know I will get flogged by the 90min pilsner boils folks, but I've never detected any DMS in any recipes and I always do a 60 min boil. But do what makes you happy.

Honestly, this is one of the best beers I've ever brewed and has turned into a go to for me. Especially, if i want a complex beer with a simple recipe that will please lots of people.

You could probably do this recipe with Notty and go grain to glass in 10-14 days w/ a keg; 21 days bottling.

I also like the Northern Brewer Shining Star Pale Ale kit. I actually buy the all grain ingredients from my LHBS; but that beer is an awesome session APA. You can go on their site and pull down the ingredient list or order it straight from them (sorry NB).

Ooo good thread. I've been brewing pretty avidly for the last two years and I can't ever convince myself to repeat a recipe. There is just too many different beer options to try!! I have an american wheat base grain bill that I've used a few different times. Its like 6lbs wheat 4lbs pils .25lbs of honey malt and 5-8oz of acid malt mashed low boiled for 90 mins and fermented with WLP 029 kolsch yeast. For the american wheat recipe I used motueka and pacifica in late additions for 20ish ibus which made for a nice refreshing wheat beer with nice citrusy aroma and flavor. I also used the same base recipe for a really hoppy version with 4oz of nelson sauvin and 4oz of citra 1/2 of which was for dry hopping.

Back