Munich Helles Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Just got done with doing water calculations for my Munich Helles let me know what you guys think if I need to make any adjustments.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 8.9
Mg: 1
Na: 6.8
Cl: 4
SO4: 2
CaCO3: 17.5

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4 / 4
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 11
Non-Roasted Spec. Grain: 0
Roasted Grain: 0
Beer Color (SRM): 4.7

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 3 / 3
MgSO4: 4 / 4
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 2 / 2
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 63 / 63
Mg: 26 / 26
Na: 59 / 59
Cl: 180 / 180
SO4: 105 / 105
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.71 / 1.71

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 18
RA: -42
Estimated pH: 5.49

You will definately need sauermalz ~3% or some lactic acid ~4ml in my estimates for the PH to get set appropriately.

Personally, I'd cut the Epsom salt in half and not use any of the table salt. Then perhaps add a touch more CaCl

New adjustment

This page can be used for copying and pasting

Starting Water (ppm):

CaSO4: 2 / 2
MgSO4: 2 / 2
NaCl: 2 / 2

Ca: 93 / 93
Mg: 13 / 13
Na: 59 / 59
Cl: 180 / 180
SO4: 127 / 127
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.41 / 1.41

RA: -57
Estimated pH: 5.48

Final reading thanks guys. Think the pH of 5.5 is a little to high or will it be ok?

This page can be used for copying and pasting

Starting Water (ppm):

CaSO4: 0 / 0
MgSO4: 2 / 2
NaCl: 0 / 0

Ca: 63 / 63
Mg: 13 / 13
Na: 7 / 7
Cl: 100 / 100
SO4: 54 / 54
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.86 / 1.86

RA: -35
Estimated pH: 5.50

I would either add 2% of sauermalz or have it ready to go once you have a measurement on your mash ph. Other than that you should be in range there. Although, I don't think you need the MgSO4.

If you want the best answer possible I would suggest posting this on the brew science forum. ajdelange would more than likely help you out and he's the true expert around here on water.

I would either add 2% of sauermalz or have it ready to go once you have a measurement on your mash ph. Other than that you should be in range there. Although, I don't think you need the MgSO4.

If you want the best answer possible I would suggest posting this on the brew science forum. ajdelange would more than likely help you out and he's the true expert around here on water.

I'm finding that there really isn't a time where I'd add MgSo4. Unless you're constipated.

Mg is fine where it was, and more sulfate isn't necessary either. But it's a good laxative.

Per John Palmer. Magnesium is important for yeast health. 10 PPM is all that is required to supplement the Magnesium already present in the malt.

Most people already have 10 PPM of Mg in their water. The OP does not so adding some is a good idea. I have a similar Mg deficiency in my water. So I add a few grams of Epsom salts to every batch.

10 ppm is not gonna give you the ****s. It needs to be over 100ppm before you get a laxative effect.

Just want to make sure that the addition you check for sparge water would be equal to the amount of my mash water because I'm doing equal running's. For example, 3g of calcium chloride in the mash and then in the sparge? If not let me know, brewing tomorrow.

Don't have enough time to make a liquid starter thinking about using S-23 for the brew a lot of people have had problems with it and a lot of people like this including Jamil Z. Any input?

I have used it without problems. If you have temp control to reliably keep it at 45-50, it should not kick out off flavors.

Per John Palmer. Magnesium is important for yeast health. 10 PPM is all that is required to supplement the Magnesium already present in the malt.

I have heard Palmer say on Brew Strong that there is enough Mg in malt. No need to add any. This has also been confirmed on HBT by AJ Delange.

For a helles, I would adjust to 50ppm Ca with CaCl2 and have lactic standing by. With your low alkalinity, you might not need any.

Went forward with the brew today with S-23, in the middle of mashing out. Thanks everyone for all the great help.

Back