So I finally had Pliny!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
After 2 years of drooling and "pining" for the mother of all brews I finally had a Pliny the Elder at the Memphis Winter Warmer Beerfest. It really was amazing and I loved every drop of it. I think I actually got goosebumps when I was drinking it and now I have an actual taste goal to shoot for with my homebrew. They also auctioned off a case of Pliny but I couldnt afford it...those Memphis boys sure wanted them some Pliny.

Anyway, thanks for listening because SWMBO really was not that enthused about being my DD for the brewfest.
-Jefe-

OK, I admit Pliny is some good beer. Great even, on draft. (I've never been that impressed with the bottled version.) But goosebumps? Seriously? For some reason this beer has attained some kind of mythical status that I can't quite understand. Am I the only one that hasn't drunk the Pliny kool-aid?

Never tasted it, but when I do I would like it to be a "blind" tasting: poured in an unlabeled glass with a couple other world class IPAs. Then, I'd like to know if I could identify it as the best IPA I've ever had. Every review I've read declares it as world class, though I wonder how many people do so fearing they would be labeled a fool giving anything less than an A+.

The writers of Freakenomincs did a little experiment relating the cost of wine and how drinkers perceived the taste. Almost without fail, when the taster knew the price of the wines, they rated highest price as the best. When price was unknown, the lower price wines were rated much, much higher. Even wine connoisseurs were terrible at choosing the "best" wines.

Now I'll be the first one to say that the variety of taste possibilities for beer is infinitely more diverse than wine. But, I have little doubt the price and rarity of Pliny may help to increase the status and rating. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I've never tasted it.

I've had Pliny off tap in Santa Rosa, it was amazing. The best beer I've ever had. It totally ruined several beers for me, tried drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale later that night (used to be a standard go to for me) and now I can't even drink it anymore. I would love to go to DFH's brewpub and have 90 min off tap because it's the only beer that compares. IMO

OK, I admit Pliny is some good beer. Great even, on draft. (I've never been that impressed with the bottled version.) But goosebumps? Seriously? For some reason this beer has attained some kind of mythical status that I can't quite understand. Am I the only one that hasn't drunk the Pliny kool-aid?

I'm with you. Had it for the first time last fall, and while it was great, its reputation exceeds it. I actually thought Blind Pig was better.

... maybe it was just my subconscious justifying not being able to get it out here tho

I've had Pliny off tap in Santa Rosa, it was amazing. The best beer I've ever had. It totally ruined several beers for me, tried drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale later that night (used to be a standard go to for me) and now I can't even drink it anymore. I would love to go to DFH's brewpub and have 90 min off tap because it's the only beer that compares. IMO

There's a couple of things I read here that are just plain silly. How can an IPA ruin a Pale Ale for you. In fact, how can any beer "ruin" another beer for you. You suddenly dislike the flavor of SN PA? That sounds stupid. Further, 90 Minute DFH isn't the 'only' beer that compares, not at all. I'm not sure if this is a Troll post or not but it sure sounds like it. I've yet to have Pliny, but rest assured when I have a top-3 beer it doesn't "ruin" other beers I enjoy. The logic, or lack thereof, doesn't make sense.

Maharaja by Avery is a close second. I didn't know the hype of Pliny before having it. I'd say it's easily my second favorite beer. The night I had it, it was at RR in Santa Rosa. Same night I had Consecration. Yeah, that's my number 1.:tank:

There's a couple of things I read here that are just plain silly. How can an IPA ruin a Pale Ale for you. In fact, how can any beer "ruin" another beer for you. You suddenly dislike the flavor of SN PA? That sounds stupid. Further, 90 Minute DFH isn't the 'only' beer that compares, not at all. I'm not sure if this is a Troll post or not but it sure sounds like it. I've yet to have Pliny, but rest assured when I have a top-3 beer it doesn't "ruin" other beers I enjoy. The logic, or lack thereof, doesn't make sense.

I can assure you no troll, but believe what you want. If you go from the RR brewery in SR to having a SN Pale Ale about 2hrs later if is an utter fail and I've found myself no longer able to drink SN Pale Ale. Of course Pliny set me on a path that I did not expect, I now no longer drink Pale Ales and rarely drink anything less than a double IPA.

IMO, 90min is the only thing I've found that is comparable. I've other good IPA's but non compare to the batches of 90 that we constantly get. I would think I was nuts but I had another beer snob with me that agree's.

Once again my opinion if you don't agree don't. But until you've had my experience I would hold off on calling someone a troll.

I also though that RR's Hopfather was a really good beer as well.

Maharaja by Avery is a close second. I didn't know the hype of Pliny before having it. I'd say it's easily my second favorite beer. The night I had it, it was at RR in Santa Rosa. Same night I had Consecration. Yeah, that's my number 1.:tank:

Love Maharaja, only had 2 bottles of it, and can't find it anymore. I don't know why but I'm alway's on the look out for it now.

I guess his "IMO", doesn't mean much to you. You are apparently the only one entitled to an opinion.

I can assure you no troll, but believe what you want. If you go from the RR brewery in SR to having a SN Pale Ale about 2hrs later if is an utter fail and I've found myself no longer able to drink SN Pale Ale. Of course Pliny set me on a path that I did not expect, I now no longer drink Pale Ales and rarely drink anything less than a double IPA.

IMO, 90min is the only thing I've found that is comparable. I've other good IPA's but non compare to the batches of 90 that we constantly get. I would think I was nuts but I had another beer snob with me that agree's.

Once again my opinion if you don't agree don't. But until you've had my experience I would hold off on calling someone a troll.

I also though that RR's Hopfather was a really good beer as well.

So you having Pliny has completely ruined your ability to enjoy a Pale Ale or IPA? That's your loss, my friend. Did Pliny blow you after you were finished the pint also? Other than that I'm not sure how I could disregard two very delicious and similar styles of beer.

So you having Pliny has completely ruined your ability to enjoy a Pale Ale or IPA? That's your loss, my friend. Did Pliny blow you after you were finished the pint also? Other than that I'm not sure how I could disregard two very delicious and similar styles of beer.

I drink the occasional Jai Alai IPA, or some Celebration, love the humidor series IPA from CC. But my personal preference, and it all traces back to the experience that I had with Pliny while in San Fran, is double IPA's. Anything else is just lacking for me.

Like I said that is a personal preference. I'm sure there may be some beer that you don't like that others do. I like big beer's and I can't lie, just my sort of thing. I prefer imperial stouts to regular stouts. I'm a high gravity guy. I'm cool with it, it doesn't bother me.

I have ready access to Pliny in the bottle but not on tap. Frankly, I have not found the bottled version to be anything other than a very good IPA. I did taste Pliny at the GABF (Vinny actually filled my glass) but this was well into the evening. I plan on trying on tap at some point this year and from what I am reading, I will enjoy it immensley. Montanaandy

Its just that guys, opinion. Is it worth trying? Yes. Is it going to be the beer you set the bar at? Thats up to you. Im visiting family close to the brewery and ill grab several bottles tomorrow, but there are other excellent ipa's worth trying too. Keep an open mind and drink lots!

I had no clue about the hype surrounding Pliny when a bartender at Trinity in the Springs recommended it...blind, uneducated tasting, it was one of the best beers I have ever had. Can't wait to try it again with a year of homebrewing under my belt...I'm sure many brews can compare, I can't imagine ANY beer ruining any other beer for me, and I think I can brew a comparable IIPA given a little guidance (likely from this forum) and experimentation.

You gotta learn to enjoy beers for what they are. I can still dig a Shiner or a Real Ale pale or brown though I think most of my beers are as drinkable. Does drinking a Ten Fidy ruin a Guinness? HELL NO, they are completely different brews!!!

:mug:

Helloooo People! Even in my limited time home brewing, for the life of me, I don't understand why you don't just brew something of your own that tastes better than Pliny IMO. I don't know, maybe I am just lucky, but my brother and I sat down and compared Pliny to a Pliny clone recipe, a lesser known one that I brewed twice. My batch turned out better, hands down. Again, maybe I just got lucky with this recipe I have. Sorry, I don't mean to sound offensive, but what gives?

Never tasted it, but when I do I would like it to be a "blind" tasting: poured in an unlabeled glass with a couple other world class IPAs. Then, I'd like to know if I could identify it as the best IPA I've ever had. Every review I've read declares it as world class, though I wonder how many people do so fearing they would be labeled a fool giving anything less than an A+.

The writers of Freakenomincs did a little experiment relating the cost of wine and how drinkers perceived the taste. Almost without fail, when the taster knew the price of the wines, they rated highest price as the best. When price was unknown, the lower price wines were rated much, much higher. Even wine connoisseurs were terrible at choosing the "best" wines.

Now I'll be the first one to say that the variety of taste possibilities for beer is infinitely more diverse than wine. But, I have little doubt the price and rarity of Pliny may help to increase the status and rating. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I've never tasted it.

Pliny the Elder, at < $5 per 500 ml bottle is not particularly expensive.

I used to love to drink miller lite. I started drinking some delicious craft brews. I no longer drink miller lite. Illogical? Who really cares?

I've had it right from the nipple on a trip to santa rosa. Yes, it was excellent. However, for those that are lucky enough to get there, the assortment of sour beers will blow you away (i.e., Consecration).

BierMucher's IIPA that I made this morning looks like a Pliney. I love the use of MO and honey malt in it. The Pliney recipe is out there, too.

Geez dude, don't over react or anything. he's entitled to his opinion as are you. But try showing a little class.

I agree with both of you to an extent. I had a similar experience. Went to RR had some pliny and then a couple of hours later had a Red Tail Ale at the Hotel, and it tasted like nothing, But it was just for that night. If you're losing appreciation for the smaller beers, than i would suggest staying away from the big guys for a while. There are a lot of great beers out there outside of IPA/IIPA style. To discount the smaller beers is not a good thing. I went down that same road and realized i was missing out on a lot of good stuff.

My Pliny Experience: So after hearing about the lines at the GABF (or any RR brewery beer for this matter), I had to have one. I have friends in Colorado who are way too lazy to send me a few bottles. I finally hooked up with someone on Beer-Advocate who gladly sent me one (to my doorstep - I paid $20 for the 16oz bottle).

Anyhow - I have tasted a TON of IIPA's before the Pliny - although it was a great beer and made my top 5 IIPA list - I cannot say that I would invest another $20 for a subsequent shipment.

I set out and brewed the Vinny clone available online - brewed with extra caution and nurtured this batch like a new-born baby (since I paid close to $75 for the ingredients)... When I tried my beer after about three week in the primary (before dry hopping) it was freaking AMAZING but didn't have the same taste as the real deal...probally because I used extract hops and not fresh / leaf. After dry-hopping, it changed the character substantially...in fact, at this point, it tastes more like the Stone Ruination / Avery Maha mix... still excellent beer. I did not have another bottle of Pliny to compare with but....

Hell - at the and of the day, I am searching for a NEW beer... I cannot say that I have a favorite or would stop at some point and just buy ______ beer. There are far too many local US craft breweries trying to match and beat this beer - I am more interested in trying new ones...

For that matter - I am kind of getting burned out on IPA's and IIPA's - I am now graduating more toward Belgium's and other styles - the quest for the best beer is like trying to find the Holy Grail!

I think that's a pretty good summation: you get burned out on a particular kind of beer, not beer in general, and gravitate to another style for a bit, rinse and repeat.

Back