Nottinghams/Saf-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Saturday, due to many reasons, is the first time I have brewed in a number of months. I got to use my brand new Blichman 15 gallon kettle finally which was great. The brew went fine. Actually better than fine. 81% eff. 10 gallon batch of Ed's haus pale ale. little over five gallons in two carboys. I have done this beer a number of times now and have always used Nottingham, this time I decided to try one carboy on Nottingham and one on Saf-33. Never used Saf-33 before this batch.

The saf-33 took off like a rocket formed krausen the next morning and has already fallen. Nottingham batch is rocking along as expected. The couple questions I have are these.

The Saf-33 batch seems MUCH lighter in color than the nottingham. The color is lighter than what I am used too. The only thing that changed from me brewing this in the past is the yeast. So did the Saf-33 actually have an effect on the color? Is this just more yeast suspended in the carboy that I am seeing? And is it typical for the saf to be more quick to krausen than the nottingham?

I took pictures of both and can post them later.

I believe I am going to do a 10 gallon batch of RIS in a couple weeks. Should I try it on both cakes? Or should I just build a starter. Again I really don't have experience with Saf-33. Any thoughts on this as well?

anything made by Fermentis is a superiour dry yeast IMO. I think the S-33 just repopulated faster than the notty.

its a solid yeast. i use it to make mead too.

Tested Gravity of the Saf a couple minutes ago. Tests to 1.017. Nottingham is still plugging along. Color still really looks a lot different. Guess we will see what kind of taste differences we have once the batches are done.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll be really interested to hear what flavor differences you experience. I made the HPA and used Cooper's yeast, and it was horrible!

As a follow up to this I have already kegged the Nottingham version of this. It finished out at 1.01. Tasted great going in the keg. It's on gas now being carbed.

The Safale-33 was sitting at 1.016. I let it sit for a few days and I just tested it now and it hasn't budged from 1.016. I am going to give it one more day and keg it. I am tasting the sample as I type, and I must say. It's pretty damn good. It seems to have cleared up considerably from when I posted this. Still a bit cloudy but that's to be expected. I have to say that it's actually pretty clean tasting. It might also be a bit crisper than the nottingham. It finished a bit higher than the nottingham but it's actually damn good.

I can't wait to keg it carb it and do a side by side. I will probably take some pictures of them when they are ready.

As a follow up to this I have already kegged the Nottingham version of this. It finished out at 1.01. Tasted great going in the keg. It's on gas now being carbed.

The Safale-33 was sitting at 1.016. I let it sit for a few days and I just tested it now and it hasn't budged from 1.016. I am going to give it one more day and keg it. I am tasting the sample as I type, and I must say. It's pretty damn good. It seems to have cleared up considerably from when I posted this. Still a bit cloudy but that's to be expected. I have to say that it's actually pretty clean tasting. It might also be a bit crisper than the nottingham. It finished a bit higher than the nottingham but it's actually damn good.

I can't wait to keg it carb it and do a side by side. I will probably take some pictures of them when they are ready.

You can search the forum and find alot of people had a very high FG with s-33. I did 3 batches with it and the same problem I could not get it below 1.016 and had to work it to get that. Takes of like a freakin rocket though.

Also I did not care for the taste of the s-33.

Back