Great beers if you can get 'em ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is going to a brew shop in the Minneapolis area that has over 1500 different beers available. He asked what I wanted him to bring up to me when he visits, knowing that I am not even remotely close to a good beer selection. I understand that one persons reply may not be what others would get and hope not to start any arguments over the definition of "great beer".

I'll welcome your opinions as to what YOU think I shouldn't pass up getting if I can get it.

So.... Any input on a few beers that I can email him to pick up?

Thanks

When I get out of state and I am able to get some good beers the first thing I get is La Fin Du Monde

A buddy of mine is going to a brew shop in the Minneapolis area that has over 1500 different beers available. He asked what I wanted him to bring up to me when he visits, knowing that I am not even remotely close to a good beer selection. I understand that one persons reply may not be what others would get and hope not to start any arguments over the definition of "great beer".

I'll welcome your opinions as to what YOU think I shouldn't pass up getting if I can get it.

So.... Any input on a few beers that I can email him to pick up?

Thanks

Do they have a list online? What do YOU like normally?

That's just... too big a question to really answer. What kinds of beers do you like? If it were me, I'd be getting everything that began with "rauch-" or "smoked."

Is "one of everything" an acceptable answer?

Here's some of the things my mom (I know, I know) is picking me up from that same store:

surly
surly
surly
oak aged yeti imperial stout
old rasputin
beer geek breakfast
rochefort 10
st bernardus 12
bourbon county stout
surly

Ok, fair enough. Too vague, sorry.

I guess i was thinking too 'simple'. Was hoping to get a dozen or so beers that you just have to pick up when you have an opportunity of a good selection. But you are right, too vague. I think part of my rational behind my question was that "I don't know what I don't know". I've heard of some of the so called great beers and even the debate over if they are good or not and was just hoping to help get some direction toward beers or even breweries that I shouldnt pass up.

I'll scour some of the "look what I scored" and "heres my beer cellar" threads and get some ideas from there...

Sorry

One of the first things you need to consider is your budget. Depending on what you buy, $100 bucks won't get you too far at one of those stores. I've been into a specialty store once and decided right away to only choose American breweries (not because we are better, but because it made the process simpler). You could choose a style specific route and maybe get 2-3 each of a few styles.

Going to a specialty shop or even sending someone else to pick out beer can be one of life's greatest challenges.

Back