Can I ferment in a bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
Can I ferment in a bottling bucket?...
I just thought it might be easier so I don't need to transfer...
My primary goal is to have the spigot... maybe I can put a spigot on a fermenter bucket?
thanks
timg

One concern I would have is wether the spigot/port will hold for 3+ weeks of fermenting. Other than that, it sounds cool. They do make plastic conicals thought if thats the route you want to go.

doubleb said:
One concern I would have is wether the spigot/port will hold for 3+ weeks of fermenting. Other than that, it sounds cool. They do make plastic conicals thought if thats the route you want to go.

I'm new to all of this... I've only used mr-beer stuff...

What's a conical?
thanks sir ;)

these wonderful things
f3-family.jpg

You can just open up that lovely little valve at the bottom and all the trub falls out. Voila! Secondary! And then, when it comes time to bottle, it's also a bottling bucket. Big, beautiful, useful conicals. I don't think they come in sizes smaller than 10g though.

With many kits that include a glass secondary, the plastic primary doubles as the bottling bucket.

I use a seperate bottling bucket, though my plastic primary does have a spigot.

For darker beers, I usually skip the secondary, however I do not bottle from the primary.

The reason for me is that if I primed the primary, I would have to stir it, which would kick up a great deal of sediment, which would end up in the beer. Also, I don't even use the spigot on the primary to rack/transfer, as it sits very low, and tends to suck in a great deal of sediment regardless.

nick

All three of my buckets have spigots. The only difference between the fermenters and the bottling bucket is the latter says "bottling bucket". Never had a problem with leakage.

Judd said:
You can just open up that lovely little valve at the bottom and all the trub falls out. Voila! Secondary! And then, when it comes time to bottle, it's also a bottling bucket. Big, beautiful, useful conicals. I don't think they come in sizes smaller than 10g though.

That small one on the right is 7 gallons, well worth it if you can spring for it! Plastic one is MUCH cheaper! :D

david_42 said:
All three of my buckets have spigots. The only difference between the fermenters and the bottling bucket is the latter says "bottling bucket". Never had a problem with leakage.
Is the second (bottling) bucket to get rid of the yeast sediment (traub)?

can I just put the spigot higher and use the same one step process that MR-beer uses?

I use my bottling bucket as a primary quite often also, but transfer to a carboy for secondary, then back to bucket for bottling.

timgman said:
Can I ferment in a bottling bucket?...
I just thought it might be easier so I don't need to transfer...
My primary goal is to have the spigot... maybe I can put a spigot on a fermenter bucket?
thanks
timg

you can ferment in a bottling bucket - i do it most of the time. but... the spigot on my bucket is not high enough to avoid bringing a lot of trub with it - so i always transfer using a syphon to another bottling bucket and bottle from there. i think the fancy ported better bottles have an adjustable arm that allows you to position the opening to the spigot above the gunk. otherwise you're going to be bringing gunk into the bottles (but maybe you could run that off at the start - not sure really)

Back