Pouring a Perfect Authentic Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
I wanted to make authentic Black and Tans a while ago and bought a 6 pack of Harp and Guiness. The result was less than perfect. After seeing BierMuncher's Guiness clone recipe, and his picture of an authentic black and tan made me curious about any tips or secrets to get a good separation.

All I did was pour the Harp half way, let it settle - then pour the Guiness slowly over a turned upside down spoon (just a regular spoon, not the bent kind).

So, any suggestions?

Yuri_Rage said:
Loved that video.

He did the honorable thing by drinking it at the end.

The key is to make sure the spoon is resting on the srface of the lighter ale.

Again, I do mine from the tap and that may make it easier, cuz the tap can get closer to the spoon than a can being poured in.

This is definitely a "practice make perfect" exercise.

Practice a LOT. :D

I find it beter if you don't let the bottom beer settle too much. A nice head on the lower layer seems to help distibute the top layer withought breaking the surface and causing mixing. Good luck and enjoy practicing.

Update on this -

I poured Black and Tan's like a champ today, used Guiness and Stella (I am a student studying abroad in London right now and these are both readily available) - Thanks for the help

IMG00073.jpg

Here's a bump with a B&T I poured last night for myself. The first attempt was with my Bass brolly spoon. Fail.

The above was poured from my own kegs, Rye Pale on the bottom, and Sour Mash Dry Stout on the top. A teaspoon works a lot better than the brolly spoon.

Part of the fun in trying to pour a good black and tan is that the failures are still tasty.

Try a "BlackSmith" instead (Guiness and Smithwicks)....You can barely see line between the beers (so it doesn't matter how good you are at the pour) and it tastes awesome.....

Back