Container to store specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I just moved to a new state, and with that comes a new brew store. My old one had a much bigger selection of grains and you could measure out the exact amount of any grain that you needed. Now, the selection is more limited, and they only sell in 1 lb bags. So my question is, does anyone have a good way to store the specialty grains? Good containers? Etc? Thanks

I use lock and lock containers that I got at the dollar store. They have a gasket in the lid and clips on all four sides. I haven't seen them in the dollar stores lately. They cost $3-$9 depending on size at department stores.

Added: I also use my FoodSaver.

Yeah, I picked up a foodsaver as well and just generally reseal the bags that they come in after I take out what I need. Then I just toss the separate bags into a big bucket with a lid that I've got. The foodsaver works great with hop bulk purchases as well. I've seen some guys with a ton of tupperware containers with several dozen different specialty malts, but I'm like you, generally just storing whatever I have left from a pound purchase. It also means I do a fair amount of subbing based on the fractions I have laying around, but I'm ok with that :).

Cool, thanks for the responses. I'll start browsing the dollar store and will just use the bags they come in in an air-tight bucket until some cheap containers are procured.

I've seen some guys with a ton of tupperware containers with several dozen different specialty malts

That describes me. Containers from Target. I like this setup a lot, but they are not air-tight. That would have been an improvement.

Grain_Closet.JPG

I use a Gamma Vittles container. You can find these at Petco. Thay aint' cheap though.
I got one that will hold about 30 lbs of grain for $30 but they have a number of sizes.
These have a 'screw' on top that is air tight and even keep ants out. We use one for our dry dog food and the food stays fresh for months.
http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Stackables.aspx
You might be able to find cheaper places than Petco online.

Another thing I've been using for small amounts of grain storage is those plastic coffee "cans." or whatever they're called these days.

80273b.jpg

maxwell_house.jpg

I just have a hard time getting rid of them, they just seem so "usefull" for stuff. I especially like the maxwell house ones with the handle. So if I have a lot of grain I just fill those, and if it's a small amount I put those in baggies, and store them baggies in one of them.

5 gallon food grade buckets from Lowes or Home Depot that have a silicon seal in the lid for an air tight seal. I simply store my specialty grains in sealed zip-lock bags inside one of these buckets to keep them fresh and away from rodents/bugs.
These are only about $5 including the lid. The added benefit? You can ferment or store beer in them if needed.

food-grade-buckets-12.jpg

Revvy said:
Another thing I've been using for small amounts of grain storage is those plastic coffee "cans." or whatever they're called these days.

That is a really good idea. One downside: I don't drink coffee, so how can I get those......

Back