Makeshift brewstand take two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Since everyone got such a laugh at my last all grain brew contraption, I thought I'd show you the evolution in progress. Garbage-picked multijoint ladder for the burner stand:

brewstand2.jpg

Enjoy... BTW, I'm scavenging all the bedframe angle iron I can find for the real deal.

Dont listen to the riff raff there Bob. Ghetto fabulous is the only true engineering left in America!

eviltwinofjoni said:
Now that's more like it! What's that thing about a third of the way up in the keggle?

That's a coupling for a thermometer. I'm currently using my keggle as double duty, HLT and kettle. I have a remote probe stuck in there with a compression fitting with the temp alarm set at my mash infusion temp.

the_bird said:
Tin-foil windscreen! I *LOVE* it!

You're showing your age. Foil hasn't been made from tin since your Grandmother's era.

Aluminum foil saved my skin out in the boonies. It was the only way to shield my smallish fire from the wind and the rain until I could get enough material dried out to keep it going. I'd have probably succumbed to hypothermia otherwise.

It actually worked out great!! The foil was a good idea as it prevented the plastic tube and thermometer tubes from melting, and pushed the heat away while you stirred/dumped in hops. The cross bars could use replacement as they kinda warped under the heat and weight of the full keggle. Bobby definitely has a nice setup going there!

Next evolution will be bed frame angle irons... mig welded into a ghetto fab brew stand! Time to pick up a cheap 120V stick ;)

SpecialEd said:
So what is the aluminum foil below the keggle for?

That's to hide my proprietary and yet to be patented burner attachment mechanism. Ok, well it's really just a multijet burner clamped to the ladder with a big C-clamp. If you've ever seen one of these burners in action, you'd know why the foil. It basically keeps me from frying my balls when I stir the wort.

This foil I came across in my grandmother's house a while back really needs to be cut with tin snips or EMT shears. It's the heaviest stuff I've ever seen. The roll is like 6" in diameter and weighs 35 pounds. I almost sold it for scrap.

Bobby_M said:
This foil I came across in my grandmother's house a while back really needs to be cut with tin snips or EMT shears.

Most guys come across tissue paper or an old sock instead :D

What brand of foil was that, Bobby_M? I'm interested in what kind of tinfoil is so thick.

It's not even in a box, it's just a roll. It looks like the big rolls that food service companies use but like everything else, they're not built like they used to be. I don't think you can buy this stuff in a supermarket, probably more like a restaurant supply. It's great for wrapping baking potatoes and throwing them in the coals when camping.

Reynolds has some real heavy duty stuff you can get in the supermarket... or you can always get a sheet of actual metal from "the toy store"...

Back