Biofine Beer Fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making my FIRST batch of beer, an American IPA, from a kit.

I noticed that it was quite cloudy when I transferred it to my secondary, so I bought a package of (Crosby & Baker) Biofine Beer Fining from my LHBS. The guy there didn't seem to know much about it. This was the only thing he had, other than Irish moss, which I forgot to add purchase earlier...

1. I'm wondering what kind of results have you gotten with this?
2. Does it need to be boiled before use (is sanitation a concern?).
3. Is it added just prior to bottling after the priming sugar is mixed in?).
4. Any other *advice*?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Dan

I recently ordered some of this from Midwest supplies. I havent used it yet but I will soon. They have discussed this on the BN and supposedly it is great. I'll let you know how it works.

Did you get Biofine or Biofine Clear? They are completely different products - one is isinglass, the other silicic acid. Both work well. They don't need to be sanitized. They are typically added during secondary or a few days before bottling when doing an extended primary.

It's labeled BIOFINE BEER FINING, and says it contains isinglass. Says to mix 1/4 tsp in 2 oz cool water, let sit for 20 min, then "add after fermentation".

My beer has been in the secondary for 2 weeks. I was planning on bottling tomorrow. Will it work OK if I add it tonight, and bottle tomorrow?

Dan

Back