Your city's best hidden-gem eatery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerialmedical

Reaction score
Gotta love hitting a little piece-of-sh*t, hole-in-the-wall, local legend restaurant that serves the most delicious food...creates memories...What would you recommend I visit if passing through your neck of the woods?

El Paso, TX - Chico's Tacos

Gotta love hitting a little piece-of-sh*t, hole-in-the-wall, local legend restaurant that serves the most delicious food...creates memories...What would you recommend I visit if passing through your neck of the woods?

Bryan Ohio- China Garden(not a chain) Best Chinese food in NW Ohio!

Kent Wash- Pho Saigon 25632 Pacific HWY S
Seattle- Green Leaf(down town in lil Vietnam)

I lived in federal way, these we by far the two best places i have ever eaten in my life!

Augusta, GA - Takosushi

best sushi/sushimi in town, and, from what I hear, excellent mexican. I always think I'm going to try the Mexican one day, but the sushi always wins. However, you can eat there with friends that don't like sushi - and the beer list, while not awesome, gives you a dozen craft brews to pick from.

Seattle, WA - Than Brothers (pho) or Beth's Cafe (diner food)

both within 8 blocks of my work, so i am very spoiled right now.

I'm going regional...

Phoenix, AZ - Lo-Lo's Chicken 'n Waffles (ya dig??)

Tucson, AZ - Aqui Con el Nene (lunch truck that serves up the most delicious Sonoran-style hot dogs)

Absolutely nothing. Sheboygan, WI sucks in that regard.

Kingwood (NE Houston), TX - J. Christopher's Outstanding Pizza, Pasta & Burgers

That place is a couple lights from my house, I can't leave there without spending 45$ tho.

In humble there's pho an by business 1960 and 59.
On the northwest side on fairbanks between 290 and bw8 theres a colombian restaurant named Mi Tierra thats way too good for the stripmall it's in.

Rivertowne in North Versailles has AWESOME food in the Pittsburgh area. I'm not sure about the other locations, but I have never gotten a bad meal there. Plus they have about 20 craft beers on tap at all times.

Stoutman82 said:
Soho Japanese bistro in Mishawaka I was there tonight here's why...

Bah stupid fingers but yeah that's the beer list on display wine and sake done the same way too

image-2130932097.jpg

image-2120087634.jpg

image-471273655.jpg

image-2840158796.jpg

Stoutman82 said:
Bah stupid fingers but yeah that's the beer list on display wine and sake done the same way too

Nice, man...is that a string of Hitachino Nest-icals on the bottom? Woo-hoo for Soho Japanese Bistro!

If I have to stay local, it's Bayou, an awesome Cajun place on Staten Island. NYC is well known for food though, so obviously there's something people might like better than Bayou on almost every corner.

aerialmedical said:
Nice, man...is that a string of Hitachino Nest-icals on the bottom? Woo-hoo for Soho Japanese Bistro!

Why yes it is whoever did the beer wine list for this place did amazing work. Some of the rare treats include behemoth barley wine from 3 floyds, 120 min ipa from dogfish head (which dfh isn't sold in Indiana anymore), they also have bitches brew from dfh (60$ a bottle though). And there sushi is amazing especially the Godzilla roll.

We have a new sushi place called Sushi Pop but it's not a hole-in-the-wall and not particularly cheap. But it's really good and has a couple of Hitachino Nest beers on tap (I've had the White, Red Rice, and Ginger ales on tap there). I've been hoping for a good sushi place nearby, the other ones weren't quite cutting it.

Also, Rice & Beans Cocina Latina down in Waterford Lakes is really good Cuban food.

Clark Nj- White Diamond. Tiny hamburger counter, no beer but open 24/365. Great burgers and fries, and they stay open during blizzards to feed the plow guys.

Fort Worth, TX- We have too many to mention them all but my favorite, up in the North Fort Worth burbs where I live, is Chef Point Cafe. Its not really a "hidden gem" anymore because it was on Diners, Drive-inns, and Dives a few years ago. Its french food with a North-African twist, where you sit at plastic tables, inside of a gas station. It used to be B.Y.O.B till TABC cracked down on people drinking on inside of a functioning gas station. Now there's no alcohol :( but the food is worth it. Its magical!

Chicago, IL:

Oasis Cafe - Awesome Mediterranean food located/hidden in the back of a jewelry store.

Heaven on Seven - Awesome cajun food located/hidden on the seventh floor of a skyscraper.

In/around downtown LA I have a few must eat places...

Philippe's-Home of the Original French Dip
Manuels Tepeyac-Hollenbeck Burrito
The Pantry-late night eats

Reed City's 7-Slot (named for Jeep Grills) has a pretty nice breakfast.

Yeah, that's the best in our town which somehow manages to squeeze in a Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, and a Pizza Hut (all but the Pizza Hut are next to the freeway).

Trust me, I'd choose a 7-slot breakfast over them others almost ANY time!

Back