22 vs 12oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjomonster

Reaction score
Just finished our first batch and tasting it tonight. Very exiting. We bottled in 12oz & 22oz bottles. The 12oz we tried earlier was looked more clear, and tasted great. The 22 I'm drinking now seems not quite... there. Not bad, but not quite as good and the color is definitely murkier. Any ideas on what the difference might be? Do 22s need more time in the bottle? (it's a Pale Ale bottled 2 weeks ago)

I personally think the 22's are a bit harder to pour with out disturbing the yeast cake at the bottom. So I have noticed the 2nd pour will be a bit cloudier.

I am guessing the 22 oz wasn't chilled all the way. Be patient. They are not supposed to be ready until three weeks anyway. A good 24 hours in the fridge will help all the yeast in suspension fall to the bottom.

I personally think the 22's are a bit harder to pour with out disturbing the yeast cake at the bottom. So I have noticed the 2nd pour will be a bit cloudier.

Good point. Get a bigger glass.

So... conditioning at 2 weeks, my first batch wasn't quite ready. From all the post i've read, most people recommend at least 3 weeks to let a brew sit in a bottle. I've been tasting along the way and they're probably right. As to why there would be a difference between your 12 and 22 oz, hopefully someone could clarify. My theory is something during the bottling process , perhaps not mixxing or even adding priming sugar? Please clarify.. someone.... anyone?!

Cool - haven't put the rest in the fridge yet, sounds like another few days and a good chill will make things all good. Seems like a good bit of learning to brew is learning patience.

There's a thread a month asking this question...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Back