**What is the most universal HOP**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking about growing or attempting to grow some hops. MY question is... What is the most universal hop out there..?? Is there 1 particular hop that stands out because of its versatility (can be used for bittering, aroma, & flavor)?? Thanks!!

:mug:

Well it really depends on what you like and what style you brew (assuming you adhere to some style guidelines). EKG is a great all around hop if you like english style beers. Any of the noble German hops if you brew German beers. I suppose cascade if you brew American would be a good all purpose. There really isn't going to be a single best hop for everything.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Cascade is one of most versatile hops.
Very vigorous, and hardy variety. Easy to grow, and provides a high yield.

If you are going to grow hops, I would suggest anticipating what sort of beers you'll be making. I grow Nugget, Cascade, Goldings, and Hallertauer since the recipes I make the most use those particular hops.

Also, you may want to pick a strain that is easy to grow (like Cascade), or disease resistant (like Nugget) instead of selecting a strain based on universality.

If you're new to growing hops, like I was two summers ago, you can learn a lot from the hops growing forum.

HTH

awesome! Thanks everyone! Lately I have been brewing mainly english / Belgian beers. I just think it would be fun to produce some of the actual ingredients that goes into my beer. I have finally ventured into partial mashing as well so I am looking to gain more control over what goes into my brew and how it is produced. Thanks again! enjoy the superbowl :)

That being said what variety would be a hearty hop with good virsatility for that style(s)?

I think I would add centennial to that list. It can be used for both bittering and aroma. A great all purpose hop.

There really is no universal hop but I keep a steady supply of Cascade , Amarillo, Centennial and Willamette because I like to brew Pale Ales and IPA mostly.

That being said what variety would be a hearty hop with good virsatility for that style(s)?

Northern Brewer. I can be incorporated into almost any style, can be used alone a la Anchor Steam Beer, and it's a vigorous grower.

You need to look at what grows well in your area too. I'd rather have something that grows really well and gives me lots of hops than a hop I like a little better than doesn't grow well in my yard that I'm lucky to get one batch worth out of.

I say Galena as it's most often used for bittering bud products and other macro lagers thus it's the most 'universal' hop on the planet. ;)

Doubting that's the answer you want I'd have to say for craft brewing Cascade is the most popular/universal and go with others on region/styles. However I think it's most important to know your climate & how much if any shade the hops are going to get. For instance many people report problems with growing Goldens because they just don't do well in warmer/hotter/sunnier climates. Yet I had great success with them at one sight in Misisipi growing beyond 24' in their first year because they were under a large canopy of oak trees. However at another site only miles away in full sun 3rd year plants won't grow higher than 8' up the trellis and produce NOTHING! Thus practice makes perfect and make some educated guesses as to what'll grow well where you are.

Schlante & Good Luck,
Phillip

I would have to say either Cascade or Chinook would be the best universal hops they are my personal favorites but the Simcoe's are starting to creep in as well....

Latest posts

Back