Belgian Light Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Just bottled a light Belgian ale that rocks hardcore. It isn't carbed, but it was great from the bottling bucket. Went from 1.055 to 1.006, beautiful golden color and we are hoping to have a solid 2.5-3 vols CO2.

To start let me say that I have made up a bunch of light beers in prep for summer and kept finding the same strange kind of bitter roast flavor in them. Come to find out that our high bicarb water really needed some assistance and this is the first beer that I am happy with how it tastes. I really didn't want to just use RO water so I have spent the last six months dialing how to make my water taste better and a combination of filtration and heating really worked the best.

Base recipe

85% Pilsner
9% Vienna
6% Caravienne

Early addition of Magnum to 35 IBU's and then Hallertau at flameout to get me a total of 40-45 IBU's. Mashed at 153 for an hour.

1.6L starter of Ardennes yeast, 68* ferment temp for two weeks and then an additional 2 weeks to settle. Just bottled it up.

Very nice and surprised me greatly how it turned out.

I had to open one just to see what it looks like. Totally not carbed yet at four days, but it will be in another week to see some head on it.

photo-764908.jpg

I just got some positive feedback on this from a brewer friend and it is clean, hoppy and belgian yeasty. This is so clean and smooth, it really makes a point for Carbon Filtration on your water.

It isn't a predominant flavor at all and as I mentioned above, it got down to 1.006. It is not at all sweet, but as all Belgian Yeast does, it is malty as all get up. For being such a simple recipe, it is delicious and very interesting.

Back