Should I bottle now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
This is my third ever batch, a Holiday Ale kit from Brewers Best. The SG was 1.076, per the instructions (the kit contained extra corn sugar). So far, so good. I proofed the yeast, and pitched it at ~70°. I got about 2 inches of foam in the primary, but nothing vigorous (on my previous batch, the airlock blew off from so much activity!). The room temperature where the carboy was, is ~65°. I racked to secondary about a week later. The gravity reading at that time was 1.021. After about 2 weeks in secondary, the reading is still 1.021, so I think the fermentation has ceased. However, I have read about the "1.020 Curse," and I want to make sure that this brew is really ready for bottling. Advice?

I gave my Double Chocolate Stout 7 weeks in Primary. It never went below 1.020. I bottled it on Saturday.

I would give yours at least another week. Maybe warm it up a bit?

That is a big beer, did you double pitch, or use a starter? What was the target FG?

Good luck!

You are probably ok, but 3 weeks for a fairly high gravity beer is a little short in my opinion from pitching to bottling. Nothing wrong with letting it sit a week or so longer. Your gravity may not drop much more, but the yeast can still clean things up for you in that time.

Sneaker-
You didn't mention what the ingredients were, other than the booster dextrose, but 1.021 sounds reasonable to me for a wort that started at 1.076.
1.020 is a curse when your OG was 1.040 ;-) If your gravity hasn't changed over 2 weeks, I'd say pick up your bottling wand.

That is a big beer, did you double pitch, or use a starter?
No, just used the packet of Nottingham that came with the kit. I did proof it, however, in warm water and a little extract.

You didn't mention what the ingredients were,
2 cans of LME, grains (for grain bag), hop pellets, spices.

Did the kit come with a ~FG stated?

The kit did not come with a target ~FG

Maybe warm it up a bit?

How should I do that?

Thanks everybody

If you are not in a hurry to bottle it, just move it to a warmer spot and swirl the carboy or bucket to stir up the yeast a bit..... I did the double chocolate oatmeal stout and it stuck about there.. I did everything and nothing got it going again....bottled about 8-9 days ago.

After reading your post and knowing this is your third batch...leave it longer. You have two batches to drink in the meantime. I'd leave it at least until next week. Especially since it has spices as you stated. I find spiced beers need more time than others.

If you bottle next weekend you will have 3 weeks till the holidays and it should be good by then.

this is why you don't just rack after 1 week.

you HAVE to test the gravity and know that its done based on those readings not changing over 3 days.

Latest posts

Back