Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys. Living in Longmont, CO just a couple miles from Left Hand and loving Nitro figured I gotta make this one. Only done extract so far so was looking for an extract version of this. I read all the pages and while several people say they made an extract version there is only one recipe and that guy had questions about his recipe but didn't see any answers. So just wondering if anyone had an extract recipe or if the one on here is good? My swmbo doesn't like stouts so while her beer is in the big carboy I'll just be making a one gallon batch to start with.

hey guys. Living in Longmont, CO just a couple miles from Left Hand and loving Nitro figured I gotta make this one. Only done extract so far so was looking for an extract version of this. I read all the pages and while several people say they made an extract version there is only one recipe and that guy had questions about his recipe but didn't see any answers. So just wondering if anyone had an extract recipe or if the one on here is good? My swmbo doesn't like stouts so while her beer is in the big carboy I'll just be making a one gallon batch to start with.

Use a light extract like the briess cube golden light lme and add your specialty grains for a 30 minute steep at 150. Just remember to reduce some of the low crystals (less than 60L) to account for the crystals in the lme.

Brewed this 1 month ago, tested fg today, 1.022, tasted hydro sample, good, very, very good, can't wait to get it carbed up.
Thanks for the receipe.
Dan

For some reason no one is commenting on an extract version. However i am going to brew the version on page 5. Now, after talking to my friend that's from Colorado he told me that i should increase the lactose taste as is compared to the Sweet Stout I made from AHS.

so i'm going to brew the extract recipe on here and add 1 pound of lactose in the boil and .75 pound at bottling along with my priming sugar.

if that is retarded please let me know before tomorrow :D

For some reason no one is commenting on an extract version. However i am going to brew the version on page 5. Now, after talking to my friend that's from Colorado he told me that i should increase the lactose taste as is compared to the Sweet Stout I made from AHS.

so i'm going to brew the extract recipe on here and add 1 pound of lactose in the boil and .75 pound at bottling along with my priming sugar.

Personally I think it's too much lactose. You should make it first, then make additions.

Regardless, add all your lactose during the boil. It makes no sense to separate it and add it at bottling. It's more work and gives a higher chance of infection.

Personally I think it's too much lactose. You should make it first, then make additions.

Regardless, add all your lactose during the boil. It makes no sense to separate it and add it at bottling. It's more work and gives a higher chance of infection.

ok that makes sense. i'll stick to 1# and add it all during the boil, thank you

I added an extra 4 oz to mine unintentionally and it came out too sweet for my taste. Still a damn good beer but after 1 or 2 it became too much sweetness.

Long story short this was my first attempt at all grain brewing and anticipating boil off I ended up with about an extra gallon of brew. I brewed this Tuesday. My thought is to rack off one gallon to a glass jug I have when I'm transferring to my bottling bucket. After doing some research I'm going to go with .5ounces American Medium Toast Oak soaked in Makers Mark 47 for a couple weeks. The plan is to keep in secondary for 6 weeks. What do ya'll think?

I have a question. I let this sit in primary for 3 weeks and bottled. I made this for a buddys wedding tgats being held in June. Will this be ok to sit that many months? I wanna say I read stouts (higher abv beers) get better with age?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Home Brew mobile app

I have a question. I let this sit in primary for 3 weeks and bottled. I made this for a buddys wedding tgats being held in June. Will this be ok to sit that many months? I wanna say I read stouts (higher abv beers) get better with age?

It has aged well for me... But I say make more since it probably won't last.

I too would make more and then when the wedding comes close tap them both and see which seems better. This beer is amazing, probably my best brew to date even with some errors. Can't wait to get on my next batch. Wish I had the capacity to make 20 gallons at a time!

It will age fine if your technique is good. If it's not so good, you will taste the flaws (oxidation, DMS, etc). I would brew another batch that should be ready in July.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Thx for the reply guys. I will try and do another batch closer to the date. I still have an IPA I need to brew for the bride so hopefully time will work out. Thx again.

One more question, lol its been bottle conditioning now for 2 weeks. Should it age at its current temp. 68ºf or throw in the fridge?

One more question, lol its been bottle conditioning now for 2 weeks. Should it age at its current temp. 68ºf or throw in the fridge?

Either way... I normally primary for about 3/4 weeks then keg and toss it in my fridge under pressure. Then I'll leave it until I'm ready to drink it, or move it to a corner in the basement if I need room in the fridge.

And for what it's worth, I find it's best served around 50 degrees.

Brewed the extract version from page 5 on 2/8/14. If any wort has ever tasted amazing to me its this one, chocolatey, expresso like and silky.

Pitched rehydrated US-05 at 59 desgrees, no action in fermenter until this morning.

I am excited!

Put this on nitro today and it's really good! However, to us it seems just a bit too sweet and is lacking slightly on the barley. ~We have a few real Left Hand Nitros for a side-by-side tasting...

Brewing again tomorrow with 14oz roasted barley (from 12oz) and reducing the lactose to 14 (from 16oz).

Thanks OP for the great recipe! :mug:

Put this on nitro today and it's really good! However, to us it seems just a bit too sweet and is lacking slightly on the barley. ~We have a few real Left Hand Nitros for a side-by-side tasting...

Brewing again tomorrow with 14oz roasted barley (from 12oz) and reducing the lactose to 14 (from 16oz).

Thanks OP for the great recipe! :mug:

I've had some beers on nitro and CO2 draft before and I have to say that the nitro beers are softer to me and seem less bitter even though they are the same beer otherwise. I would say that your correction is appropriate for a nitro draft system. You could even probably up the IBU a little and be fine too.

Just made this yesterday in the hopes for a St Patrick's Day tapping! Mine came out at about 1.060. Was just reading through (most of) the posts and reading about the history of Milk Stouts, etc. and found this quote from the Brewmaster at Left Hand Brewery.

“(Milk stouts) are typically not very bitter, so you need to put in a portion of roasted barley, but make sure the portion of chocolate malt is twice as big,” he explains. “The roast will be subtle and you’ll get plenty of color. If you go heavy on the barley, it will actually be bittersweet. It is better to have more chocolate malt and just a nuance of roasted barley. I also think it works out really well when there is a decent amount of caramel in the beer which is probably going to lead you to this style anyway.”

Thought it was interesting that he essentially said to use twice the chocolate malt to roasted barley. Any thoughts about this?

Interesting. I didn't do twice as much, but I did switch it up and do 1# chocolate malt and 12oz Roasted Barley in the batch before last and it's probably the closest to LH I've come. The owner of one of our LHBS said it "tastes just like Left Hand." I do agree that more chocolate then RB is appropriate, but the proportions could still be tweaked to personal taste.

On another note, the last batch I did, I got distracted during the boil and forgot the lactose. So, while it was chilling, I boiled the pound of lactose in some water to dissolve it. I had it boiling pretty hard and, while it didn't caramelize, I did get it down to a thin syrup. At kegging, I had a taste and the milk/lactose sweetness was HUGE, though not in a bad way. It didn't have a cloying sweetness, it was more of a creamy note that went well. It's faded just a touch now that it's carbonated and it's really good now. Somewhat smoother and richer than the previous batch with the lactose in the boil.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just made this yesterday in the hopes for a St Patrick's Day tapping! Mine came out at about 1.060. Was just reading through (most of) the posts and reading about the history of Milk Stouts, etc. and found this quote from the Brewmaster at Left Hand Brewery.

“(Milk stouts) are typically not very bitter, so you need to put in a portion of roasted barley, but make sure the portion of chocolate malt is twice as big,” he explains. “The roast will be subtle and you’ll get plenty of color. If you go heavy on the barley, it will actually be bittersweet. It is better to have more chocolate malt and just a nuance of roasted barley. I also think it works out really well when there is a decent amount of caramel in the beer which is probably going to lead you to this style anyway.”

Thought it was interesting that he essentially said to use twice the chocolate malt to roasted barley. Any thoughts about this?

I want to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

mufflerbearing - good luck today!

Finally made it through all the posts and WOW a lot of really great information. Seems like you guys have explored all areas of this one. I'm going to stick pretty closely to the original recipe based on how many people really love this one and since I think LHMS is one of the best out there.

Brewing this coming Friday - a couple of things I'll likely do differently and feel free to comment:

• Only 8-12 oz of roasted barley to create a little better sweet/bitter balance per some of the others' comments here.
    4.5 priming sugar for a little less carb - I bottle (maybe even 4.25)
    154 mash to retain some of that sweetness
    Am going to stick with 1lb of lactose at 10 min. I did an experiment a while back with a milk stout ramping up the lactose at different levels because I like sweet beers. Even at regular levels, I could start to detect the "lactose flavor" - because it DOES have one, and I'm not a big fan of it. Will keep 1lb and hoping since others have not mentioned this flavor being too much, I'll find the same.
    I happen to have 4oz of dark chocolate covered cocoa cocoa nibs in the pantry so am going to toss those at about 10min to help dissolve the chocolate and steep the cocoa cocoa flavor out of the nibs. Speaking of, I still wonder about getting the flavor out of a nib if only added after the temp is brought down - as I see many people adding it in the primary or secondary. Thinking in terms of hot water to make coffee because it extracts the flavor FAR better than cold, wouldnt you want to put the nibs in at least at flame out?

Very excited about this one.

I did this recipe two months ago as my first all grain batch with my new 5 gallon setup and it turned out awesome. I handed about a case worth out to people and everyone loved it. We even tasted against the LHMS with a group of about six of us and did it blindly and 5 of the 6 picked this beer. I just made another and am thinking of splitting it after primary fermentation and adding some cocoa nibs to about two gallons and see how that comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mashed around 154-56 about to sparge

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393867052.377003.jpg

Now we wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

It's bubbling away but not too much. It is holding a steady 68-70 on the sticker. It should be fine right?

Yeah, that's fine. I personally like to keep mine a tiny bit cooler, but I don't see any problems with that.

I got all the ingredients today to make the mini-mash from earlier in the thread listed below... wish me luck!!
Here's what I did... as a partial mash (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/). It was really easy and didn't require any more equipment.

1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
3.6 lbs Light DME (3 lbs of it was late addition)
1 lbs Roasted Barley
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt
12.0 oz Munich Malt
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
0.30 oz Magnum [14.10 %] (60 min) Hops
0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.10 %] (10 min) Hops
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose)
1 Pkgs SafAle S-04

I partial mashed the pale malt and all the other grains in ~2 gals of water (1.5 qt/lb of grain) at 152-154 degrees (used my oven at 175 with mash in the pot to keep the mash at that temp), "Teabag" sparged into another pot with ~1 gal of water. Added everything together in the brew kettle, boiled as above with the lactose at 10 mins. Ice bath cooled, topped off to 5 gals with an OG of 1.064 and its actively fermenting at 64 degrees. BrewR estimated my OG at 1.065, IBU 25 and 42 SRM. So I don't think I'm too far off from the original recipe.

Just follow the directions in the partial mash tutorial above. Not too much more difficult than just extract with steeping grains (this is only my 6th or 7th brew BTW).

I wish you luck and I am also wondering where my FG should land.

I wish you luck and I am also wondering where my FG should land.

I generally get to 1.018 but the recipe is 1.022. This changes depending on your numbers of course. So obviously you want to make sure it's done (take a couple readings spareated by a couple days apart. If the same, it's good) before you bottle.

Back