First batch bottled, few more questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luth34

Reaction score
Just started to drink my first batch, and overall the pale ale is awesome! I bought a kit, but after a few bottles I have a few questions. Some beers seem very carbonated and blow the grolsch tops nearly off the dang bottle, while other seem kind of flat and have a flat watery taste. Is this normal to not have consistency, and are there some things to improve the consistency? I have done a more full boil in my two batches since then, so hopefully that helps.

Also, in my three batches, the OG has been lower than all the recommendations. It hasn't been a huge difference and doesn't seem to make the beer taste horrible. Is this anything to be concerned about and how can I go about getting a little closer to what it should be?

Overall, I have am having a blast with the newfound hobby, and the first batch tastes great! Thanks everyone for the help so far!

-Cameron

How long have your bottles been conditioning? Inconsistency in carbonation can occur in beer that hasn't bottled for very long (assuming your priming sugar was evenly distributed)

What did you use to carbonate your beer? If you used priming sugar it's possible that it wasn't mixed in evenly.

Revvy has a nice thread about common bottling questions... definitely worth a read. Congrats on your first batch!

Back