Cilantro Beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreatman

Reaction score
So I was thinking of making a mexican beer with a hint of Cilantro to it. My plan was to use some filtered water and put it in a cleaned out milk jug or something. After that I was thinking of chopping up/mashing the cilantro and and putting some in each of the jugs so that the flavor will seep out chello style, then straining. From this i was thinking of brewing, with extract. How's anyone tried something like this or used cilantro in a beer??

I've been thinking about this as well. I think it might be better to use dried and crushed Coriander, the seed from the cilantro plant. It has a slightly diferent flavor, but very similar and I think you would avoid the potential vegetal flavors that just adding sprigs of cilantro might add.

I was also thinking that a cilantro lemongrass wheat beer might be good. I really like the cilantro lemongrass combination in Thai foods.

Hop back style cilantro infusion? You could catch the aroma possibly just before you cool? You could make salsa beer; jalepenos go well in beer too; the pizza beer dude seems to be doing ok.

-OCD

I've been thinking about this as well. I think it might be better to use dried and crushed Coriander, the seed from the cilantro plant. It has a slightly diferent flavor, but very similar and I think you would avoid the potential vegetal flavors that just adding sprigs of cilantro might add.
I don't think coriander tastes that similar to cilantro, personally.

I'd try to extract the flavors of the cilantro and add that. I'm not sure if you could do it with extract or if you'd need to steam distill it, but both are easy to do at home. To extract with alcohol, just place the cilantro in with some vodka for a couple weeks, then strain off. To steam distill, place in a large pot (your kettle would probably well), with some water and a heatproof bowl. Then place the lid from that pot upside down over top with something cold on top of it - ice or something, so that it catches the steam, condenses it, then causes it to drip back into the center of the pot, where it's caught by the bowl.

I'd go with vodka for this - that way you get both flavor out of the herb and also have the side benefit of thoroughly sterilizing it. Plus you can add that at bottling time, so you can taste as you add to make sure you get the amount right!

Let us know how this turns out - I'm curious!

Not too helpful a comment I'm afraid, but be aware that some percentage of the population is genetically predisposed to think cilantro tastes like rank, soapy crap =) I only mention it because I'm part of that minority.

Having said that, don't think I'm hacking on your plan, it sounds damned creative and I hope you find great success with it; just don't be discouraged if a friend recoils upon trying it, it's just our cruddy genes!

Not too helpful a comment I'm afraid, but be aware that some percentage of the population is genetically predisposed to think cilantro tastes like rank, soapy crap =) I only mention it because I'm part of that minority.

Having said that, don't think I'm hacking on your plan, it sounds damned creative and I hope you find great success with it; just don't be discouraged if a friend recoils upon trying it, it's just our cruddy genes!

Are you serious? soapy crap? Cut off your tongue bro!

one of my friends who is a chef recommended just steeping it in the last few minutes of the boil sort of like if you were trying to make a vegetable stock. That way there will a subtle hint of cilantro. I'm probably gonna use some coriander to balance it out b/c yeah i don't think coriander taste/smells like cilantro.

Also I was thinking of making this cerveza with a dos equis sort of feel with some solid amber malt extract/ and probably a light DME of some kind? what do you think?

I'm the same, cilantro is the worst herb out there. It's like soap, very nasty taste, and even the smallest hint of it in a meal can turn me off.
Good luck in your venture, but people will either love or loathe it.

nah i don't have any proper refrig. right now. I was talking to my chef friend more and reading up on herbs in beers and both sources recommended recommended putting in the herb when the wort is cooling before pitching, so i think im gonna try that and just give it a what the hell...

I am glad I am lacking in that gene. The only thing served in my house without cilantro is ice cream.... Then again, everything has onions and jalapeños too. If you ever decide to lose weight, you can come stay in one of our spare bedrooms. hehehe :D

It's funny - last night I "dry-hopped" a belgian wit with cilantro in the glass. That is, I crushed some cilantro leaves and drew a beer on top of them. It complimented the beer tremendously well. A little taste of heaven....

Any cilantro additions prior to the boil will be lost in the boil.

Treat them the way you would treat dry hops.

Maybe steep the desired amount in a couple cups of boiled...then removed from the heat but still steaming water to release the oils...then pour the tea mix into your secondary and let the flavor/aroma seep put into the beer.

I'm in the process of doing the same type of beer. I made a very simple blonde ale and plan on adding the cilantro at bottling. For this, I made a simple syrup by boiling equal parts corn sugar and water. Once the sugar was dissolved, I cut the heat and added coarsely chopped cilantro. I let it steep for a few minutes and then strained into a container. I made this syrup before and added to commercial Mexican beers to great effect. I think this should give the beer a subtle hint of cilantro flavor.

Will post the results...

I'm in the process of doing the same type of beer. I made a very simple blonde ale and plan on adding the cilantro at bottling. For this, I made a simple syrup by boiling equal parts corn sugar and water. Once the sugar was dissolved, I cut the heat and added coarsely chopped cilantro. I let it steep for a few minutes and then strained into a container. I made this syrup before and added to commercial Mexican beers to great effect. I think this should give the beer a subtle hint of cilantro flavor.

Will post the results...

Please do. It will be most interesting to see how it comes out after conditioning a bit.

Instead of just chopping cilantro, you might want to try pureeing it in a blender with some liquid. It will tinge the liquid green, but the color should be lost in a 5 gal batch.

If your chef friend knows anyone in food manufacturing, maybe you could find cilantro oleoresin. Then you would only need a drop.

OK - My blonde turned out terribly! I don't blame the cilantro though... I am sure there was an issue with fermentation. Too hot here in AZ to not use some type of a cooler...

Back