Pliny Clone Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAbrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently dry-hopping my Pliny clone and I had a question on timing.
I've read on HBT that most people have dry-hopped for 10-12 days. I was told by a friend who brews for a bar that I should only dry-hop for about 5 days.

Which duration is the best? I am currently at 5 days now. When my friend made the recommendation, he asked what secondary I am using (carboy or keg, etc.) and at what temp.

Currently the clone is in a 5 gallon glass carboy and the temp of my house is about 71 degrees...not sure if this info is relevant.

Cheers

i dry hopped mine in primary for about 5 days then racked. I didnt do the two dry hops though just the first 3 oz addition. i tasted it today for the first time and it was one awesomely hoppy beer.

I wouldn't say that "most" dryhop for 10-12 days. Some probably do, but I always go 5-7 days at most, generally preferring 5 days on the dry hops. It depends on my work schedule and other things. I've gone as short as 3 days with good results, but 5 days seems to be the sweet spot for the best results.

Well, Vinnie claims to do a double dry hop with Pliny. The first batch is for longer and the second batch only stays 5 days. He's basically combining both short and long dry hopping to get the aroma he wants. It's obviously working well for him, but your mileage may vary.

For my own recipes, I usually do a week of dry hopping. I've got no good rationale for that. I just know I tend to forget things if I'm supposed to do them at odd times throughout the week.

Thanks all!!
I decided to crash cool day 6. Its in the keg and carbonating at serving PSI

In the loose clone recipe for PtE (based on the published PDF copy floating around the web) Vinnie does suggest a double dryhop. He reports that the recipe floating around on the web is very similar to the actual beer, but not identical. During interviews on the topic of the actual beer, Elder is dryhopped 3 times (Younger is dryhopped 4 times). Each pellet dryhop stage is in contact with the beer for 3-5 days to total 12-14 days of total dryhopping. Each prior stage is removed before adding the new stage. To do this correctly and prevent oxygenation, you need to become familiar with flushing using C02.

In the loose clone recipe for PtE (based on the published PDF copy floating around the web) Vinnie does suggest a double dryhop. He reports that the recipe floating around on the web is very similar to the actual beer, but not identical. During interviews on the topic of the actual beer, Elder is dryhopped 3 times (Younger is dryhopped 4 times). Each pellet dryhop stage is in contact with the beer for 3-5 days to total 12-14 days of total dryhopping. Each prior stage is removed before adding the new stage. To do this correctly and prevent oxygenation, you need to become familiar with flushing using C02.

This sounds more correct.

The most accurate one is from Zymurgy from July 2010 (pasted below). it says to dry hop for 12 days total, and in the last 5 days add the second addition. it doesn't say to take out the first hop addition. I wouldn't even if it did as I don't want to risk infection, or the hassle really. Plus removing it means you would have to do hop additions in a hop bag, which i usually dont do for dry hopping. I think just adding them in loose and cold crashing gets more utilization, but that's just me.

Its all relative really, but if you want to get as close to the original as possible, i'd do 12.

Pliny the Elder
Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
Recipe provided by Vinnie Cilurzo

for 6. 0 gallons [Net: 5 gallons after hop Loss]

13.25 Lb (6.01 kg) Two-Row pale malt
0.6 Lb (272 g) Crystal 45 malt
0.6 Lb (272 g) Carapils (Dextrin) Malt
0.75 Lb (340 g) Dextrose (corn) sugar

3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
0.75 oz (21 g)Columbus* 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz (28 gl Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.

1.00 oz (28 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days totall
0.25 oz (7 g) Columbus* 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

*Tomahawk/Zeus can be substituted for Columbus

White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1. 011
Extract Efficiency: 75 percent
!BUs: 90-95 (actual/not calculated)
ABV: 8.2%
SRM: 7

Directions
Mash grains at 151-152. F (66 -67" Cl for an hour or until starch conversion is complete. Mash out at 170 F and sparge. Collect 8 gallons of runoff, stir in dextrose. and bring to a boil. Add hops as indicated in the recipe. After a 90 minute boil. chill ort to 67 F and transfer to fermenter. Pitch two packages of yeast or a yeast starter and aerate well. Ferment at 67 F until fermentation activity subsides. Then rack to secondary. Add first set of dry hops on top of the racked beer and age 7-9 days. then add the second set. Age five more days then bottle or keg the beer.

Back