World War Z...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT advertising; it's intended as sharing information & nothing more.

I'm a fan of zombie movies & zombie books. I've been waiting a few years for Max Brooks' book World War Z to be made into a movie...
And now it has! I hope it lives up to the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
gratus fermentatio said:
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT advertising; it's intended as sharing information & nothing more.

I'm a fan of zombie movies & zombie books. I've been waiting a few years for Max Brooks' book World War Z to be made into a movie...
And now it has! I hope it lives up to the book.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Have you read both books? I'm very excited for this movie to come out!

I am very excited too. Also interested to see how the screeplay/plot is organized compared to the style if the book.

I was excited when I heard the book was being made into a movie. Then started to doubt it when Brad Pitt signed on as the lead. Nothing against him, I just couldn't imagine someone from Hollywood mainstream as the movie lead. When I saw the trailer my heart sank. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not a fan of the fast moving zombies. Particularly zombies that overwhelm and knock over a city bus and form a human ant hill to scale a giant wall.

Agreed with ZombieBrew... Watching that trailer, you can easily pick out several details that drastically diverge from the book this movie is supposedly inspired by. The book was amazing. The movie? I pretty much plan to avoid it, because I'm pretty sure I'll sit there nitpicking. If the studio wanted to latch onto the current zombie trend and make their own movie about a worldwide zombie apocalypse, they should have gone ahead and done so without spending whoever knows how much licensing the World War Z name from Brooks. All they're likely to do with that is tick off a bunch of folks who really dug the original material.

I don't read a whole lot, so I probably just don't understand, but why do movies have to be exactly like the book they are based on? Why can't they just be subjective takes on the book? I just don't understand why people can't appreciate a great movie because it wasn't 100% spot on with the book. Just my $.02

I don't read a whole lot, so I probably just don't understand, but why do movies have to be exactly like the book they are based on? Why can't they just be subjective takes on the book? I just don't understand why people can't appreciate a great movie because it wasn't 100% spot on with the book. Just my $.02

Just my personal opinion, but if you read one story, and then see a movie of the same exact name, with that story's author's name attached to it, then you have some expectation that the movie you are about to see will be at least loosely attached to the story you read. World War Z the novel was a fantastic read.

Now, imagine you read How to Brew (I know, this is a stupid example, but stick with me for a second), and really dug it. And then a few years later you saw that How to Brew was being made into a blockbuster movie, with some involvement from Palmer. Then you went to see it, but instead of being about, well, how to brew, it was a romantic comedy in which the male star happened to drink a homebrew in a few different scenes, and maybe a fermenter shows up once or twice, but aside from that the movie has almost literally nothing to do with the book you read? You'd feel pretty let down, wouldn't you? You'd wonder why the heck they called this thing "How to Brew" when it bore little to no real relation to the actual source material.

Taking a few liberties here or there, I get completely. Take, for instance, what Peter Jackson did with The Lord or the Rings to shoehorn those tomes into three movies (and, I guess, to make a part for Steve Tyler's hot daughter). Or take what they did with the ending of My Sister's Keeper. Both were very true, for the most part, to the source material, but took certain liberties (in My Sister's Keeper's case, the movie eliminated a very important character and completely changed the ending) - but those liberties worked, and made the story work for the structure and time limitations of their respective movies.

World War Z, on the other hand - based on previews alone (and I understand those are limited at this point, so I grant I could be somewhat off base) bear almost no resemblance to the book, with the exception that both involve Zombies. But even on that count, the movie version of the Zombies bear little resemblance to the book version.

To be quite honest, the way World War Z is written, I don't really see a way it could be made into a movie... It's basically a book of interviews with survivors after the end of the apocalypse. Some pretty terrifying stuff.

Simply put, if you're going to create an original work of fiction - great, more power to you! The world NEEDS more of those! But don't create an original work of fiction and slap something else's name on it in an attempt to lure that something else's fanbase into coming to see your original work! If your original work is worth something, it'll draw people out on its own merit. Whether it is or isn't worth something, you're likely to irk that something else's fanbase that you lured out on basically false pretenses.

There is a lot of the book that just would not work in a movie form.

Its been a few years since I read the book, but they were specifically SLOW zombies in the book, right? I am basing this off of a few memories from the book:
the blind ninja guy killing them, and the military shooting them steadily based on a metronome

Also, I read a while back the the battle of Yonkers was cut from the script. Not sure if that's true but if so...WTF?!

Just my personal opinion, but if you read one story, and then see a movie of the same exact name, with that story's author's name attached to it, then you have some expectation that the movie you are about to see will be at least loosely attached to the story you read. World War Z the novel was a fantastic read.

Now, imagine you read How to Brew (I know, this is a stupid example, but stick with me for a second), and really dug it. And then a few years later you saw that How to Brew was being made into a blockbuster movie, with some involvement from Palmer. Then you went to see it, but instead of being about, well, how to brew, it was a romantic comedy in which the male star happened to drink a homebrew in a few different scenes, and maybe a fermenter shows up once or twice, but aside from that the movie has almost literally nothing to do with the book you read? You'd feel pretty let down, wouldn't you? You'd wonder why the heck they called this thing "How to Brew" when it bore little to no real relation to the actual source material.

This isn't aimed at you specifically because I have this argument with my GF all the time. I understand where you are coming from, I used to be a huge Stephen King fan and his books rarely translate well to any screen. But if it is the work of the author and he gives his blessing, then do you really have anything to be upset about? Or more specifically, you should be writing the author some hate mail about how he/she allowed them to murder the book. When it comes down to it, the literature is the work of the author and they can do with it what they like. For better or worse. And, unfortunately, they still need to get a paycheck, so if the book stopped selling, guess what, it's time to either write another best seller, or sell off what you've already done. The easy answer is to sell what already sells than to create another original work and hope it pays off without ruining your reputation.

I understand its the principle that counts, but principle doesn't pay very well.

The Zombie Survival Guide reads like a stereo manual. It was unbearable.

Agreed. There wasn't anything I liked about the book. I was reading it and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Well, I did like the stories in the back.

Back