1 gallon BIAB water - wort volume musings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethliam

Reaction score
So, I was looking into my numbers for my last batch and want to compare with what other people have experienced.

Start volume =2.6g
After 1 hr boil, wort volume = 1.5g

Transferred to fermenter. I transferred this to a secondary after 2 weeks, total fermenting beer is now 1 gallon. 0.5 gallons seems a lot to lose in the trub, I was hoping to come out with 1.25 gallons.

Next time I won't be transferring to a secondary - I learned that this isn't really necessary. Any other thoughts or suggestions for next time I brew a small scale BIAB?

Oh, and btw, this was for a dry stout recipe, which I hope will be drinkable and tasty by St Patty's day!
Recipe - http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/grandma-mulrooneys-stout-biab
My OG was 1.044, beer is just about ready to bottle, FG 1.012

So, I was looking into my numbers for my last batch and want to compare with what other people have experienced.

Start volume =2.6g
After 1 hr boil, wort volume = 1.5g

Transferred to fermenter. I transferred this to a secondary after 2 weeks, total fermenting beer is now 1 gallon. 0.5 gallons seems a lot to lose in the trub, I was hoping to come out with 1.25 gallons.

Next time I won't be transferring to a secondary - I learned that this isn't really necessary. Any other thoughts or suggestions for next time I brew a small scale BIAB?

Oh, and btw, this was for a dry stout recipe, which I hope will be drinkable and tasty by St Patty's day!
Recipe - http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/grandma-mulrooneys-stout-biab
My OG was 1.044, beer is just about ready to bottle, FG 1.012

No idea why you lost so m uch to trub. I do 2 gallon batches and only loose about 0.3 to the grain about 0.75 to the boil and about 0.25 to the fermenter trub. These are AG brews.

This does seem off...I do 1 gallon in the fermentor, and secondary, and still get around .85 gallons going into bottles. What are you doing with your hydrometer readings?

Also, when I siphon to a secondary, I make sure I get nearly every drop of beer out...I cold crash so the trub is pretty tight to begin with but by the time I get to the end, I have the black stopper of the auto-siphon deep in the trub. I get a little through but since I cold crash the secondary as well, its still crystal clear by the time I bottle.

Thanks for the responses.. I'm beginning to wonder how I managed to lose so much!

Hydrometer readings:
In the Secondary - I'm sticking the (sanitized) hydrometer directly into the fermented.
OG reading: I did siphon some off into a hydrometer steal when transferring from boil -> primary. The sample didn't get put back into the fermenter. Guess I lost more wort that way.. but, I had got to taste it, right!

This was my first time doing AG BIAB so still learning the process. Will definitely cold crash the next time I do this so that the trub is compacted down more when I go to rack. Yes, there will always be a next time!

Latest posts

Back