Another India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
I just brewed this up 3 days ago. Im very curious how the combination of Nugget/Aurora will go with Amarillo/Cascade. I live overseas and don't have a multitude of American hops to choose from so it's more or less an exercise in making a hoppy red IPA with what I have available. I am considering a little bit of Citra or Summit in the dry hops since I do have a couple ounces at the moment. Also hoping it's not too sweet with the almost 5% caraAroma. Ill update once it's ready!

Any comments or thoughts are always appreciated.
Sorry but I'd rather not convert to #, you can refer to the percentages on grains given

Grain Bill:
4.25 kg Pale 2 row 71%
0.75 kg Vienna 12.5%
0.50 kg Munich 8.5%
0.25 kg CaraRed 4.2%
0.25 kg CaraAroma 4.2%

Hops:
15 g Nugget 60 Minutes
15 g Amarillo 30
15 g Aurora 30
15 g Cascade 15
7 g Nugget 15
15 g Amarillo 0
7 g Cascade 0
7 g Aurora 0

Dry hop 7 days:
30 g Amarillo
30 g Cascade
15 g Nugget
15 g Aurora

As noted, considering dropping out some Amarillo/Cascade and replace with Citra and/or Summit.

(Assume 30 g per ounce makes an easy conversion)

Yeast Safale S-05

Mash 152 F for 60 min, double batch sparge to collect 7.2 gal wort

It's fermenting away now, can't hardly wait to see what comes!

Cheers

Hydrometer sample nice and red, tastes good but a bit on the bitter side, time to add some dry hops

Turned out great! Probably could have gone a little lighter on color. It's not overly sweet and has a nice body to back up the IBU's and a good dry finish. Not a hop bomb but enough, I found the aurora a little plain and I don't think it contributes a whole lot as it gets overshadowed by the cascade/amarillo citrus notes.

I anticipate Ill be brewing this one again!

DSC01971.jpg

Back