Interesting Kegerator Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbass

Reaction score
HBT'ers!

Thought I'd let everyone in on an interesting equipment failure that I've had over the past 36 hours. I've got a large frostless upright freezer controlled with an analog johnson controls temp controller. Beer was serving fine Wednesday night, but wasn't spitting anything when I went to grab a pint last night.

Check the co2 tank, which is outside the fridge, just assuming the tank was empty, but there was still pressure. Open the kegerator, which I've been using for 5 years now, and find myself staring at a 5 gallon carboy I'm lagering frozen completely solid.

Interestingly enough, the Johnson Controls is still working properly, I just tried it. And now, when I plug the freezer in directly to the wall, it doesn't spin up or anything.

I was fortunate. Along with the carboy I've got 5 gallons of bottles for a special 12/12/12 beer thats 8 months old, another 2 cases of random bottles, and 4 cornies. Only fatality was a single grolsch bottle that shattered.

I really really do not want to build another kegerator at the moment, but it looks like that'll be how I spend my weekend if I can't debug this freezer.

Back