Pseudo-lager with Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBrewers

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you out there that lack lagering facilities (such as myself) have ever tried pitching Kolsch yeast in wort that would normally be lagered. I have been trying to figure out a way to re-use my kolsch yeast cake, and then I thought, since kolsch yeast has lager yeast-like characteristics, it might turn out an acceptable lager-like beer at a slightly warmer temperature. Has anyone tried this? Or am I off my rocker?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, over time you might want to try different clean ale yeast strains to see which you like the best. Some that could be used I think are Wyeast 1056, 1338, 1007, Kolsh, and CA Common and their White Labs/dry equivelents. Nottingham dry might also be a good candidate. Basically yeasts that don't produce a lot of fruity esters, or are said to be clean.

I use 1338 European Ale in my Can't Lager Oktoberfest and enjoy the results.

I'm dragging up this thread because I need some help. I want to brew a psuedo lager pilsner and am trying to find the right ale yeast. My room is normally around 68-72*. Would kolsch yeast or wyeast's pacman be better? Pacman's description says little to no diacetyl, medium to high floculation, and temp of 60 to 72*, and very mild fruit. Also, what about California steam lager yeast at these high temps?
Thanks

I think that Pacman has a profile rather close to WLP001. It's neutral and clean, but not in a lager sort of way. I would use a kolsch strain.

I use the WLP011 European Ale strain (which is seemingly a kolsch strain) to make a fake schwarzbier- works great.

I just ran into this same problem. Neighbors requested I brew a Euro lager for a party without time to lager. I brewed up a All Grain 5 gal, sorta Heineken clone but used Notti dry ale yeast. Came out great.

You may be able to get away with a Steam Beer at 68-72°F, but you need to keep your temp cool (at most 65°F) for a Kölsch, Cream Ale or any pseudo-lager. I would find a way to chill your beer, anyway...I never recommend fermenting any beer above the mid 60s unless you're talking Saison or possibly Belgian.

For Steam, the WLP810 is pretty funky...the Wyeast 2112 is very clean in comparison.

Back