Porter, Five ways

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyPDFustercluck

Reaction score
So two weeks ago, I brewed "Who's your taddy Porter" from brewing classic styles. Looks something like this:

6.6# Pale LME
1# Brown Malt
1# Crystal 40L
10oz Chocolate Malt 350L
1.25oz Fuggles @60
.5oz Fuggles @10
Pitched 11g Notty
5 gal final volume
og 1.052
Fermented 15 days in the carboy, sg at 1.018. Here's where the fun begins. I wanted to try different adjuncts to this beer (which tasted great when gravity sample was taken). I split it into five one gallon glass containers I had. One with 1/2oz crushed coffee, one with 1/4oz crushed coffee (both in hop sacks), one with 6oz pasteurized fresh blackberries, one with 10oz said blackberries, last one was just the original recipe that I plan on adding liquid smoke to upon bottling for a smoked porter. Anyone had any experience with adding any of these ingredients to a porter or brown ale? Im not exactly sure how long I should leave the beer on these various flavorings. Thanks in advance!`

I don't have much experience with the styles and adjuncts mentioned here but I'm very interested. I've used coffee before in the style you're using it but not in the quantities.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how this goes... :)

Personally, I'd cut back on the Crystal, but other than that, it seems like a good recipe.

I highly recommend you don't use liquid smoke. It will kill your head retention. Search liquid smoke on the forum and you will get a lot of info on this.

PS... what's with the screen name?

The SN is just an old handle I have from playing waaay too much counterstrike back in the day. Nothing to do with police, just an acronym for Nock Your Punk@ss Down

Shaun- How long did you leave the wort on the coffee and how much did you use? What style of beer did you add it to?

I love raspberries in a porter. It tastes like a tootsie roll pop. I have only done mine with raspberry extract though, and that was only two ounces in a 5 gallon batch.

The SN is just an old handle I have from playing waaay too much counterstrike back in the day. Nothing to do with police, just an acronym for Nock Your Punk@ss Down

Shaun- How long did you leave the wort on the coffee and how much did you use? What style of beer did you add it to?

Well, I crushed my coffee and just steeped it with my specialties. Not very exciting but I also used a really small amount. I can't remember how much exactly but it was only a supporting flavor and not meant to be dominant. I used it in my highly experimental Banana Foster brew.

Here's a pic of my split batch. Secondary fermentation took off with the two blackberry adjuncts

image-1839448800.jpg

Back