BIAB Recirculating Induction System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyfunk

Reaction score
DC Metro - Metro Blows Even Without Catoe
I finally finished up my new BIAB electric system this past weekend and brewed a pretty rockin IPA on it just this morning. I have been wanting to go electric for a while now and this seemed like the most logical step, perhaps en route to a Brutus 20 stand in the future.

8 gallon SS pot
1650 Watt LD Water Heater
1800 Watt Induction Cook Top
Love TS Controller Box
March Pump

img20110221085343.jpg

Here is the recipe I brewed.
Recipe: Pernicious IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
39.00 gm Horizon [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 49.7 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
28.30 gm Amarillo Gold [10.40 %] (5 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
28.30 gm Amarillo Gold [10.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
5.00 gal Washington, DC Water
1 Pkgs Wyeast Pacman Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 165.5 F 152.0 F

With the insulation on the kettle, the Auber was cycling every three or four minutes to maintain temps, not great for a relay but cheaper than buying a PID SSR combo. The grain bed really compacted with the false bottom, which may have been why my efficiency was so high - around 81%!

img20110221085836.jpg

After mashing out and recirculating over my bag, I cranked up the induction plate and brought it to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes.

img20110221103407.jpg

I was able to maintain a pretty vigorous boil with the induction plate at 5 at the element full on.

img20110221105936.jpg

I really like the Pro Flow Dynamics cam and groove couplings. They made setup and cleanup MUCH easier. Now I just need to run a 30 amp circuit outdoors, put together a stand, and drill my backup aluminum pot and I'll have a Brutus 20. I also brewed a quick not-quite Blonde today. I've been digging on the Pacman yeast and am surprised by the various flavors you can get out of it.

Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 93.80 %
0.13 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.14 %
0.07 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.07 %
14.35 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
14.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
3 Pkgs Wyeast Pacman Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 1.38 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

I likey brother! I picture a Brutus 2.0 under all that. Looks like a cool process! Part of my Brutus 2.0 design was partly based on the whole BIAB idea. Kinda of a crossover compromise between the two ideas.

What do you have on your brew kettle? I'm looking for something like that, hopefully not too expensive. Could you point me in the right direction? I just got my 9 gallon SS brewpot and I can get about 6.5 gallons boiling but not a good roiling boil and I have been told that wrapping it would work. Thanks for the help! And sorry for the hijack.

The system looks great! I wish I had money to do that.

I mounted a 1650 watt heating element using the method described here http://theelectricbrewery.com/. After some swearing I was able to get it mounted inside the kettle. I leave on full blast during the boil and use the induction plate to dial in boil. I leave it on five for the most part, at seven the wort starts jumping out of the pot. With the refelctix it is relatively easy to maintain temps. If I were in your shoes I would just insulate my pot and buy some cheesecloth. BIAB has consistently produced some awesome beers while keeping down on costs.

Hey Paddy...not sure if you are still watching this thread but I have a question.

I also recirculate during the entire mash. However, I am having a problem with the mash volume rising as I do so...so much so that it nears the top of the kettle. I think this maybe caused by my having the outlet valve on my pump fully open and the liduid cannot pass through the bag fast enought to get back down to the drain valve.

Do you have the same issue? Do you regulate the output?

I think the culprit may be the steamer basket that my bag sits in. I haven't tried without the basket to confirm though.

John

Latest posts

Back