strange brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinton

Reaction score
I just got into a homebrew kick and I am loving it. I am keeping things extremely basic for the time being until I can get some consistent results. I just did a brew house kit, a munich dark lager, and it behaved quite differently. The first fermentation was slow starting then took right off over flowing my primary (that was a first for me), but it did subside and I racked it today. Now, nothing, a few bubbles but not what I have come to expect from the previous kits I have done. Is there anything I can do? Wait? Add sugar? Add yeast?

Gratz! Im new, too. Im keeping it as basic as possible until I really get the hang of partial grain or even full grain. Welcome to the addiction.

Id say that if there are bubbles, just be patient.
Adding sugar during fermentation will increase the (FG) proof.

Good luck!

Rather than looking for bubbles, you're much better off taking gravity readings. Having said that, I wouldn't even bother with that in your case, just RDWHAHB. I don't see anything to worry about there at all.

RLBHAHB??? RDWHAHB???? I thought that maybe the yeast had gotten too excited in the primary and converted all the sugars. If that is possible and is what happened then what am I doing waiting for the secondary fermentation? Just settling out sediment?

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew.

Yeast does more than just create alcohol, and just because the FG has been reached doesn't mean the beer's ready to drink yet. Do you have a hydrometer?

I just used what the kit provided, I think it was coopers yeast. I am just starting to realize how little I know. I have been wandering around this site and am amazed at what guys do. I don't even know what fg abbreviates. How does it effect the beer if all the fermentation is done so fast? (three days)

FG = Final Gravity

You're at 80% attenuation, which is actually pretty good and I'd say you've reached your final gravity, or at least pretty close. So leaving it in primary isn't going to change your gravity (or alcohol content) much if at all.

On the other hand, after only three days in primary most beer styles will taste "green." It's hard to describe green beer, but it's definitely unripe. Flavors are too harsh, yeast flavors too pronounced. My wife calls it "beer that tastes like the ingredients." There are a number of processes that help beer out, not unlike the "marrying" of blended whiskey that takes place over time. One important process is the yeast, done converting sugars to alcohol, will break apart some of the chemicals they produced earlier in the process in order to help them go into a dormant state. You should also see more clarifying as things settle, which will change flavor as proteins drop out of suspension.

OK...just relax sir, and step back from the edge of the roof. :D

One freebie answer is FG stands for Final Gravity. For the rest of the abbreviations, the Brewwiki will not steer you wrong.

As for 3 days and done, I would suggest waiting for at least another week and a half or so. Even if the 1.010 ends up being your FG, the yeasties are still hard at work cleaning up after the huge bash they just had in your wort. The additional time will also allow the yeast to settle out and compact at the bottom of the primary, leaving you with a clearer beer when all is said and done.

Most people around here suggest a minimum or 2-3 weeks in the primary fermenter, and then straight to bottles or a keg. If bottled, I would say another 3 weeks or so in a nice, dark place to allow everything to nicely carb up for you. This is where the RDWHAHB comes in.

Good luck...:mug:

Hmmm, well I think that I am kinda stuck with few options. Adjusting any of the ingredients feels like a bad idea at the is point. I am just going to let is be for a couple day's maybe let is sit for ten days. Then bottle and age six weeks, at least I will get to taste what happens when the yeast bolts in the primary. Is there anything wrong with leaving the brew in the carboy? Are the yeasts just now working on the secondary alchemy on those chemicals? Those Proteins, they drop out of suspension like sediment? Or do they need some further process?

-Is there anything wrong with leaving the brew in the carboy?

No.

- Those Proteins, they drop out of suspension like sediment? Or do they need some further process?

Some people will add fining agents like gelatin to their brew to help with clarifying their, but I let time and the yeast handle it.

You may have seen the term "flocculation" out there. That refers to the yeasts propensity to fall out of solution and clump at the bottom of the fermenter. It will be different for different types of yeasts, but generally Saccharomyces cerevisiae - beer yeast - has been developed to make beer, then get out of the way. Your job, as a home brewer, is to give them an environment to do their work in.

Sounds like you have a good plan as far as bottling goes, so ENJOY!

Back