About to brew....Need help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of this before getting going. I am adding coriander, bitter orange peel, and sweet orange peel to this wort.

Do I need to grind these in a coffee grinder before adding?

Or can I just throw them in my hop bag with 10 min. left in boil?

You can crush the corrainder in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin, bottle or flat side of a knife. It's not necessary to run it through the coffee grinder.

The orange peels I'm assuming are store bought and can just be used as is. Some people prefer to use orange zest for some beers so I guess whole or fine is just as well.

You can crush the corrainder in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin, bottle or flat side of a knife. It's not necessary to run it through the coffee grinder.

The orange peels I'm assuming are store bought and can just be used as is. Some people prefer to use orange zest for some beers so I guess whole or fine is just as well.

No I got all of it from AHBS. And it's all in a bag that they shipped in, all of it looks like pretty big chunks.

I made Pol's Orange APA months ago and used a 2 oz. bag of sweet orange peel that was whole. The beer had a HUGE orange nose and was very noticable in the flavor as well. If you're using two bags I'd say it's probably not necessary to grind.

You can grind/crush if you want to, but doing so will cause your spices to leach out of your bag. I add whole coriander, bitter orange peel, and seeds of paradise five minutes before flame out, and leave in the wort while chilling. My last batch of wheat had 1oz of (whole) coriander and a BIG coriander flavor. Grinding will make it even bigger.

Thanks guys, very helpful...I think I am just going to throw it in the hop bag at 10 min and not worry about it, but I think I'll take the hop bag out while cooling.

Back