Horseradish cheddar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a recipe for horseradish cheddar?

I had some a couple weeks ago and im now obsessed with it.

I need some and I need it now!

No recipe but if you find one, please post. I'm a horseradish fanatic and would love to try it myself.

I'm a horseradish addict as well, so seeing the cheese just made sense.

I've been hunting for the recipe for a couple of days with no luck.
If I ever find it, ill post it!

I'd imagine most of it is processed Cheddar. If it is a pressed cheese, I'd wager they add prepared Horseradish in after Cheddaring and before pressing.

I have some vacation days next week and the more I think about this, the more I think I'm going to try it.

Maybe the farmhouse cheddar recipe with horseradish mixed in during the salting stage. If you drained the horseradish of excess liquid it should mix in okay. Horseradish is "pickled" with vinegar so there shouldn't be too much of a chance of spoiling. The amount would be a question. I'd probably start with a tablespoon, taste, and adjust from there. Well, I have a week to roll it around in my head. Any other thoughts?

I have some vacation days next week and the more I think about this, the more I think I'm going to try it.

Maybe the farmhouse cheddar recipe with horseradish mixed in during the salting stage. If you drained the horseradish of excess liquid it should mix in okay. Horseradish is "pickled" with vinegar so there shouldn't be too much of a chance of spoiling. The amount would be a question. I'd probably start with a tablespoon, taste, and adjust from there. Well, I have a week to roll it around in my head. Any other thoughts?

I wouldn't just drain it, but put it in some cheesecloth and wring it out. You'll probably need more than you think. It certainly shouldn't cause you any spoilage issues. Let us know how it turns out. :D

Maybe you could boil the horseraddish in 1/2 cup of water. Drain the water and let it cool. Add the water to the milk then add the horseradish to the curds. I also found some powdered Wasabi in the cupboard. I was thinking about adding that to the curds for a Wasabi Cheddar.

FWIW, I had some more today..
This time, we found it in a spread form and it was even better.

I think ill be making the attempt at this next week.. I'll report back.

Hi everyone,

I just found the Home Brew Forums, and am thrilled to be joining in the conversation. I've been making cheese at home for about two months now - having a blast!

I made a Horseradish Cheddar over the weekend. I used Ricki Carroll's Stirred-Curd Cheddar Recipe as the foundation of the recipe.

I actually wanted to do a Horseradish Cheddar and a Jalapeno Cheddar (separately), so after cooking the curds (step 9), I divided them into two roughly-equal parts.

To one half I added two tablespoons of Gold's Prepared Horseradish. It was the "purest" prepared horseradish I could find--only contained horseradish, vinegar, salt, and "flavoring". Most of the prepared horseradishes I found contained eggs, sugar, and preservatives. Yuck!. (Key: Look for the horseradish in the refrigerated section, not in the shelved condiments aisle.)

To the other half I added two tablespoons of chopped jalapenos (from a jar of jalapeno slices in vinegar/salt that I already had in my fridge).

I realized that the two would blend a bit too much in the press, so I first pressed one for a little bit, and then the other... And then kept them separated in the press by wrapping them individually in cheese cloth. Seemed to work okay, but only time will tell.

As to the quantity of horseradish, I used two tablespoons for one pound of cheese. So if I were making the full two-pound recipe it would have been four tablspoons.

It definitely smells strong (but not too strong, I hope), but it's hard to tell. I really won't know until after it's aged... I'm not sure if the flavor will get weaker, stronger, or stay about the same. I'll report back in two months!

Also, tomhog's suggestion about straining into the milk at the start of the process sounds like a good idea. I would have done that if I wasn't splitting up the batch.

I also considered using fresh horseradish. My plan for that was to get a piece of fresh horseradish root (My local whole foods didn't have any, shockingly!), and then grate it into water, boiling the water... basically following Ricki's Japaleno Cheddar recipe but with horseradish instead... So if anyone tries that, please let me know how it turns out!

I've described it a bit more on my blog, and have included a few photos, too....
www.imakecheese.com

Hope that's helpful!

OK, now I'm excited. I have to make some cheese with horseradish. I really like making the gouda. I should make one batch with the wasabi powder and one with the horseradish. I am on vacation for the next two weeks so I have the time.

Right now I have 2 one pound wheels of farmhouse cheddar and 2 one pound wheels of gouda aging in the "cave"

I opened the Horseradish and Jalapeno cheddars this past weekend. They came out great!

The flavor was excellent--thankfully, we guessed right on the Horseradish and Jalapeno quantities. (about 2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish, or 2 tablespoons of chopped Jalapenos per pound of cheese). Spicy, flavorful, and intense!

Both had a faint trace of pink mold on the outside, which I easily scraped off. The texture was a little dry and crumbly, which I still need to work on. Not sure if it's the humidty of my cave (which seems to vary between 50-80%, even though I'm shooting for 85%), or something else in the process.

Anybody have suggestions on what to do to get a better, creamier texture on a stirred-curd cheddar?

I made some farmhouse cheddar and smoked it after I took it out of the press. We opened it last weekend and it was so great I will make a bunch more. I used hickory chips for the smoke flavor. Smoked it 1/2 hour in the little chief smoker. It tasted just like the Hickory Farms Smoked Cheddar.
Made great toasted cheese sandwhiches.

Latest posts

Back