Low Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
First off I’m not really concerned, just curious. I am brewing https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20228Orfys Hobgoblin clone, extract w/grain, and Beer smith is giving me an estimated final gravity of 1.014. I, of course, forgot to take the starting gravity, but after 10 days in the primary I am getting 1.010, with temp adjustments. I used Nottingham dry yeast and it went crazy for three days. Pitched at 70F and jumped up to around 72, then I put it on my basement floor which ended up settling out at 64F. I know its close, and just an estimate but beer smith seems to be right on the mark most times. So, is there a reason my gravity might be lower, for instance if my steeping process went better or worse than average. I am just trying to analyze what I did because this beer is DELICIOUS right out of the primary. If I did something right I want to be able to repeat it and vice versa.

Steeped grains at 155F for 30min in 2 gals
Rinsed with 1gal of 170F water (first time I have done this step)
Added 1.5 more gallons of water, LME.(4.5gal boil)
@ Boil added hops, etc, etc…..

Nottingham ferments down pretty dry.......It could be many things, more fermentable sugar, If its great like it is, then just repeat everything. Mabe bump your mash temp up to 158? or use a differant yeast. 1.010 is pretty close to 1.014

for some reason i rarely get below 1.016, even when it calls for it. i blame the absence of nutrients in most of my extract brews. they still turn out great, tho

anyway, sounds like you did something right :)

Since almost all of the fermentables in that version recipe come the extract, 1.010 is a little surprising, but 82% isn't out of line for Nottingham. What brand of extract did you use?

david_42 said:
What brand of extract did you use?

I used AHS plain liquid, which I patiently waited for them to restock. They were out of it for about a week. Probably about as fresh of malt as you get I guess.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back