yeast and incubation temp problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

Reaction score
i made a 5 gal batch of cream ale. looked in the fridge, and my wyeast smackpack was a year old! i know, bad planning on my part... i smacked it anyways, it took 4 days to expand. thought that was a good sign, dumped it in, 3days later nothing.

drove an hour to the 'local' hbs, got a fresh smackpack, 2007 pilsner lager. choices were limited, arghhh. i picked it because my house has been 55-60 degrees, which is in the fermenting zone for that yeast.

BUT the package says to incubate it at 70-75 degrees. how do i do that when my house is so much colder?! toaster oven? microwave? just kidding. but seriously, how do i keep it at at an even higher temp than room temp until it is ready to dump?

barrett

I keep my house between 60-65. So I've been putting my fermenters in the bathroom with the door shut. When the heat kicks on, the bathroom air temp spikes up to 80-85. The beer itself averages in the low 70s throughout the day.

Back