Who brews in 1 bbl batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
So being the crazy bastard that I am, I really want to invest in some of those Blichmann 55 gal. boilermakers. Anyone have one? Is there a burner out there big enough to run one, and could you logically build a brutus system big enough to just brew in 1 bbl. batches?

Could you build it? Probably. It will be retardedly expensive though. But like you said, how are you going to heat something like that? Where are you going to ferment all that beer? How are you going to store/dispense it?

I'm reading Gordon Strong's book right now, and he homebrews on a 1/2 bbl system. Seems like a good compromise between versatility and batch size.

I've been in on a 1bbl brew, using the Blichman 55-gal beasts and the Blichman burners, running off NG. I think the total volume came in at 37 gallons or so.

What I can say is that we never got a really vigorous boil going - whenever we get around to doing this again, I suspect we'll be decking out that kettle in reflectix or something similar to help with this.

But non-vigorous boils aside, we did produce a mighty tasty california common ale. Just ran out of the last of it in the last month or so, and we brewed it right around this time last year!

If you thinking of making a system that can do 1 bbl I would plan on going with an electric HERMS system. Check out www.theelectrichomebrewery.com. There system is based on a 10g batches but on there forums they talk about using the 55g blichman pots and upgrading the controler to 50 amp power. Once you get this big I would think switching to electric heating elements is the only way to go. I hope to do that one day when I have lots more money and time and and and... lol

Matt

Sounds like a long brew day waiting for that much water to warm up.

I would do this as an electric setup if i were to do it. 2 5500 watt heating elements

You could heat 21 gallons from 70 degrees to 170 in about 30 minutes
heat additional water while you are mashing

could heat the runoffs from a starting temp of around 155 to boiling in 30 minutes (assuming 37 gallons pre-boil)

Add in the fact that you will be running the heat while you are sparging.

I say get a 55 gallon steel drum, build a PID controller and hook it up to the burners.
You would really only need to control one of the burners, biggest issue would be the nearly 50 amps needed to supply it.

Actually a setup like this I wouldn't even consider propane or natural gas due to the savings per batch. Around $3 for a batch with electric, probably 15 for propane. Probably won't do a ton of batches, but huge savings in the long run.

Goblism said:
I would do this as an electric setup if i were to do it. 2 5500 watt heating elements

You could heat 21 gallons from 70 degrees to 170 in about 30 minutes
heat additional water while you are mashing

could heat the runoffs from a starting temp of around 155 to boiling in 30 minutes (assuming 37 gallons pre-boil)

Add in the fact that you will be running the heat while you are sparging.

I say get a 55 gallon steel drum, build a PID controller and hook it up to the burners.
You would really only need to control one of the burners, biggest issue would be the nearly 50 amps needed to supply it.

Actually a setup like this I wouldn't even consider propane or natural gas due to the savings per batch. Around $3 for a batch with electric, probably 15 for propane. Probably won't do a ton of batches, but huge savings in the long run.

Electric would solve many problems with fumes since we brew in a rather confined area. What about caramelization issues with electric systems? We use honey in some of our lighter beers would a 5500 watt element be a problem?

flatrockbrewing said:
Electric would solve many problems with fumes since we brew in a rather confined area. What about caramelization issues with electric systems? We use honey in some of our lighter beers would a 5500 watt element be a problem?

From what I have been reading about the use of electric burners they actually form an area of super heated vapor around the burners so they wont actually caramelize the wort. I suppose if you poured honey directly on the element you could have some problems but if you avoided that it should work

From what I have been reading about the use of electric burners they actually form an area of super heated vapor around the burners so they wont actually caramelize the wort. I suppose if you poured honey directly on the element you could have some problems but if you avoided that it should work
Using that logic, a gas fired kettle wouldn't caramelize wort either. Using a critical eye is crucial when reading info in the e-brew cult's pamphlets. E-brewing has many advantages, but those guys seem to elevate it to mythical status.

If the element is above maillard temps, it can caramelize the wort, magic vapor halo or not. The temp of the element(s) is a factor of how much heat the element(s) needs to input to reach, or maintain, a boil. That is why many prefer the larger ULWD elements, and more of them for larger systems.

cwi said:
Using that logic, a gas fired kettle wouldn't caramelize wort either. Using a critical eye is crucial when reading info in the e-brew cult's pamphlets. E-brewing has many advantages, but those guys seem to elevate it to mythical status.

If the element is above maillard temps, it can caramelize the wort, magic vapor halo or not. The temp of the element(s) is a factor of how much heat the element(s) needs to input to reach, or maintain, a boil. That is why many prefer the larger ULWD elements, and more of them for larger systems.

No, that logic does not pertain to gas because it is conducted through the metal and is not applied directly to the wort as in electric brewing. That logic does not span to different heating types, hence why I specified "electric" burners. I was also assuming that the OP would use the proper number, and type of element for his system.

i have used 1500w and 2000w high density elements directly in thick mash with no issues, I would anticipate no carmelization with a 5500 low density element even with something thick like a barleywine.

No, that logic does not pertain to gas because it is conducted through the metal and is not applied directly to the wort as in electric brewing. That logic does not span to different heating types, hence why I specified "electric" burners. I was also assuming that the OP would use the proper number, and type of element for his system.
I can't tell what you are talking about, electric elements or electric burners. Caramelizing the wort being good or bad; or possible or not with electric or gas. Were you refering to electric household stoves?

It doesn't matter whether it is the bottom of the kettle, or an electric element in the kettle, if the temperature meets maillard thresholds, the reaction will occur. How the same temperature input is conducted makes little difference.

With a gas fired kettle (with reasonably even heating), one could argue that the larger surface area results in a lower temps for the same heat input, resulting in lower maillard levels. If multiple electric elements are used, the surface area could equal the kettle heating area, and localized temps would be the same for the same heat input.

i'm pretty sure i'd go into withdrawals going that long between brews. i'd rather brew once every 2-3 weeks (my ME time) than once every few months

i have used 1500w and 2000w high density elements directly in thick mash with no issues, I would anticipate no carmelization with a 5500 low density element even with something thick like a barleywine.
Directly in the mash? If you didn't do any steps, had good enough circulation, and had a suitable PWM % applied, I wouldn't expect any caramelization. Same would go for a direct fired MT with the same heat input.

I have seen pics of the aftermath of guys trying to step with elements directly in the mash. Funny stuff.

I was silly thinking I'd come in here and find info on yeast or fermentation for 1bbl batches.

For those of you still around from this thread. What would say is the average cost of ingredients to brew a 1bbl batch? Just give me a ball park; I know there are a lot of variations from recipe to recipe.

For those of you still around from this thread. What would say is the average cost of ingredients to brew a 1bbl batch? Just give me a ball park; I know there are a lot of variations from recipe to recipe.

About $100 give or take.

Back