Breweries/bars, bottle shops, and homebrew shops in the Detroit area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewtherooster

Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to be spending most of September and October in the Detroit area (most likely Dearborn) for work, and I want some suggestions of places to check out. Bastone, Kuhnhenn and the Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin are on the list, but what other places are worth going? Also, any awesome bottle shops or homebrew shops I should check out? Thanks for the help!

There are plenty of places worth going to. Stop by Adventures In Homebrewing for a good local homebrew shop. Its in Taylor, just south of Dearborn. Ill try to stop back and update this thread with some pubs. I'm on my phone and typing on this thing sux.

Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn has the best beet selection in the area hands down. I was just there today in fact.

Jolly Pumpkin is a must. Great atmosphere and one of the few places to get Bam Biere on tap. While in Ann Arbor Grizzly Peak, Arbor Brewing and The Blue Tractor are all within a few blocks.

I would also recommend Liberty Street in Plymouth. A very cool place with solid sessionable beers.

If you are still here in the end of October Witch's Hat in South Lyon will be having their grand opening.

Dragonmead usually has 60+ of their own beers on tap, personally they blow Kuhnen's out of the water.

Beerlist.

Depending on which side of town you're going to be hanging in there's a lot of great bottle shops. Several on Mack in the Grosse Pointes. One on Harper between 9 and 10 mile.

Champagnes Wine and Beer Cellar, 7007 Chicago Road in Warren is just down the road from Kuhnen's and has an insane selection of beers.

If only Millers bar had a better selection to go with the Burgers. At least the last time I was at Buddy's pizza they served Bells Two Hearted on draft.

But you do find a lot of surprises here, there's a couple places with awesome beer lists, that are "regular" bar/restaraunts.

The Shore's Inn has over 133 beers.

And the Bath City Bistro in Mt. Clemons, has some of the best pizza and mussels I've ever had, a decent beer list including often Lagunitus on tap, along with Belgian beers, and Feather Bowling.

Another institution for Feather Bowling, Mussels and Belgian beer, in fact the first one in the area is the Cadieux Cafe, on the east side. Though personally I've been swayed towards Bath City due to their great pizza and beer list.

It's not surprising that the Michigan Masher's are the largest club on here. Not to mentiont that there are more concentrated homebrew shops in the metro detroit area. We have a large beer scene. Lots of micros and a ton of beer festivals (including one in Eastern Market)

As you can see the state is hugely represented, and for Brewpub/micros, between the city and the immediate suburbs there are this many places to go. (Clumped on the lower right side)

f3440b96994c2ad394_tjm6ibw9y.bmp

The one's in bold are in the Detroit Metropolitan Area.

Arbor Brewing Company Pub & Eatery
Arbor Brewing Company-Corner Brewery
Arcadia Brewing Company
Atwater Block BreweryB.O.B's Brewery
BastoneBells Brewery, Inc.
Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse
Big Rock Chop and Brewhouse
Black Lotus Brewing Company
CJ's Brewing Company
Copper Canyon Brewery
Dark Horse Brewing Co.
Detroit Beer Company
Dragonmead Microbrewery

Fletcher Street Brewing Company
Fort Street Brewery
Founders Brewing Company
Frankenmuth Brewery LLC
Grand Rapids Brewing Co.
Great Baraboo Brewing Co.
Grizzly Peak Brewing Co.
Harper's Restaurant and Brewpub
Hereford & Hops Rest. & Brewpub
Jamesport Brewing Co.
Jasper Ridge Brewery
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Keweenaw Brewing Company
Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
Library Bar & Restaurant
Lily's Seafood and Brewery
Michigan Brewing Co.
Motor City Brewing Works
Mountain Town Station
New Holland Brew Co - Production
New Holland Brewing Company Pub
North Peak Brewing Co.
Old Hat Brewery & Grill
Quay Street Brewing Co.
Red Jacket Brewing Company
Right Brain Brewery
Rochester Mills Beer Co.
Royal Oak Brewery

Saugatuck Brewing Company, Inc.
Schmohz Brewing Company
Sherwood Brewing Company
Short's Brewing Company
Tahquamenon Falls Brewery & Pub
The Hideout Brewing Company
The Livery
The Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery
Traffic Jam and Snug
Tri-City Brewing Company
Walldorff Brewpub & Bistro
Wiltse's Brew Pub
Woodward Avenue Brewers

And a lot of us get together pretty regularly. We brew together or hit the brewpubs quite a lot. There a half dozen active hombrew clubs (or more) in the metro detroit area. I think there are 8-10 fairly large BJCP contests a year. Plus we're pretty active for both the AHC big brew days with several places hosting event with a ton of folks.

This should give you an idea it's from the one we had in May. It is only 1 of 6 events I knew of that day happening within a 20 minute drive of each other. This one is at cap n cork in macomb, which is about a 30 minute drive from downtown detroit.

30611_387808174066_620469066_3994545_5827524_n.jpg

30611_387808134066_620469066_3994538_7742427_n.jpg

30611_387808139066_620469066_3994539_5459842_n.jpg

Note our HBT logo on the tent

30611_387808089066_620469066_3994535_3752908_n.jpg

This should give you an idea of the scene, http://www.michiganbrewersguild.org/mag/index.html

:mug:

Dragonmead usually has 60+ of their own beers on tap, personally they blow Kuhnen's out of the water.

Beerlist.

Champagnes Wine and Beer Cellar, 7007 Chicago Road in Warren is just down the road from Kuhnen's and has an insane selection of beers.

I was going to recommend both of these and Revvy beat me too it. Dragonmead is simply awesome and worth a visit. Great BBQ (lazybones)around the corner you can bring into Dragonmead if you're into it.

I was going to recommend both of these and Revvy beat me too it. Dragonmead is simply awesome and worth a visit. Great BBQ (lazybones)around the corner you can bring into Dragonmead if you're into it.

I do it all the time, BUT they also deliver to D-mead as well. Actually Dragonmead has a binder with all the food joints that will deliver. BUT Lazybones is the best.

I missed the part about wanting homebrew shops as well.

Cap n Cork is homebrew nirvana, it's where the pic I posted above were taken on one of the natl homebrew days.

Cap-N-Cork Home Brewing Supplies
16812 21 Mile Road
Macomb, MI 48044 Map/Directions
Phone: (586) 286-5202

Adventures in Home Brewing
23869 Van Born Road
Taylor, MI 48180 Map/Directions
Phone: (313) 277-2739

Kuhnhenn Brewing
5919 Chicage Road
Warren, MI 48092 Map/Directions
Phone: (586) 979-8361

Hopman's Beer & Wine Making Supplies
4636 West Walton Blvd.
Waterford, MI 48329 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 674-4677

Hopman's Beer & Wine Making Supplies
4636 West Walton Blvd.
Waterford, MI 48329 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 674-4677

Michigan Brewing Company
2582 North M-52
Webberville, MI 48892 Map/Directions
Phone: (517) 521-2337

Things Beer
2582 North M-52
Webberville, MI 48892 Map/Directions
Phone: (517) 521-2337

U-Brew Homebrew & Winemaking Supplies
1486 Washtenaw Ave
Ypsilanti, MI 48197 Map/Directions
Phone: (734) 337-2015
http://ubrewmichigan.com

Brew & Grow
32610 7 Mile Road
Livonia, MI 48152 Map/Directions
Phone: (248) 442-7939

Wine Barrel Plus
30303 Plymouth Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150 Map/Directions
Phone: (734) 522-WINE (9463)
http://www.winebarrel.com/

There are only two things I miss from when I lived in the Detroit area: the beer and the number of lakes and rivers.

Do your self a favor and go to Founders.

Also, for stores with huge beer selection, check out Merchants (Dearborn), Top Shelf (Allen Park) and Discount Drinks (Wyandotte).

While you are in Wyandotte, hit up The Oak. Big selection of beer and a cool place overall.

I think he's already been, quite a lot, maybe even staggered home from their a few times....;)

I just wanted to drive it home. I'm on my way to visiting every brewery in MI and this one is taking the cake by a long shot.

Monday night is the best night to go to Founders. $2.25-$3 a pint for Dirty Bastard, Red's Rye, Curmudgeon, Breakfast Stout, Double Trouble, IPA, Porter, and many more. I've had them all so many times. For some reason, the walks home seem to take longer.

I'm going to see if I'll be able to brew where I'm being put up at, so those shops will help. Thanks!

Drove out to Motor City Brewing Works and had tour of the brewery with one of the brewers. They have outstanding pizza and the Pale Ale hit the spot. Parking is a pain in the evenings but lunch time the lot is empty.

Back