i NEED DFH punkin ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
hey guys im looking to have a pumkin ale for the fall.... and i enjoy the dog fish head version any one know a clone ?
edit: i have seen a few clone recipies does any one have input on what one is best?

Below is one that's been floating around the internet. I have no idea how close it is to the real thing. It seems strange to me that the only hops would be 1oz at 5 min.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale Clone:

Ingredients:
10 lbs pale 2 row malt
1 lbs Special Roast
1 lbs Crystal 60
2-large cans libbys pumpkin - in the mash

1 lbs brown sugar - 60 min
1 ounces Hallertauer - 60 min
1 1/2 TBS PUMPKIN PIE SPICE, boil 15 minutes
1 tablet of whirlfloc 15 minutes
1 oz. Hallertauer finishing 5 minutes

Wyeast American ale yeast

Procedure:
Shooting for an OG of around 1.070 or so.
Put the pumkin in the mash.

Below is one that's been floating around the internet. I have no idea how close it is to the real thing. It seems strange to me that the only hops would be 1oz at 5 min.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale Clone:

Ingredients:
10 lbs pale 2 row malt
1 lbs Special Roast
1 lbs Crystal 60

1 tablet of whirlfloc 15 minutes
1 oz. Hallertauer finishing 5 minutes

Procedure:
Shooting for an OG of around 1.070 or so.
Put the pumkin in the mash.

ok.......?^ ?

He stated, "It seems strange to me that the only hops would be 1oz at 5 min." And I said, "It has 2oz, 1 at 60 and 1 at 5. ". If you read the recipie you will see.

hey guys im looking to have a pumkin ale for the fall.... and i enjoy the dog fish head version any one know a clone ?
edit: i have seen a few clone recipies does any one have input on what one is best?

This is from the Book Extreme brewing, this is suppose to be the Punkin Porter.

1 to 2 gallons water to cover pumpkin
2lbs fresh pumpkin cut into 1 inch cubes

Mash
2 teaspoons Gypsum
1/2 gallon water
1lb Black Patent malt
1 1/2 lb 6 row
Preboil tea
water to 4 1/2 gallon
Boil
3.3 lbs Light Liquid extract
3lbs Amber Dry Extract
1lb Dark Dry Extract
1oz hallertau @60
2 teaspoons irish moss
1oz cascade @20
1/2 oz Hallertau @10
1teaspoon allspice @ 5
1teaspoon Cinnamon @5
1teaspoon Nutmeg@5

Yeast WLP001 or Wyeast 1056

Wash cut remove skin and innards from pumpkin Boil for 20 mins Strain and keep water run meat through blender

return to pot add 1/2 gallon cool water and grains
heat to 155 and hold 45 mins

Strain into brew pot with saved water, and proceed like normal for an extract brew.

This is from the Book Extreme brewing, this is suppose to be the Punkin Porter.

1 to 2 gallons water to cover pumpkin
2lbs fresh pumpkin cut into 1 inch cubes

Mash
2 teaspoons Gypsum
1/2 gallon water
1lb Black Patent malt
1 1/2 lb 6 row
Preboil tea
water to 4 1/2 gallon
Boil
3.3 lbs Light Liquid extract
3lbs Amber Dry Extract
1lb Dark Dry Extract
1oz hallertau @60
2 teaspoons irish moss
1oz cascade @20
1/2 oz Hallertau @10
1teaspoon allspice @ 5
1teaspoon Cinnamon @5
1teaspoon Nutmeg@5

Yeast WLP001 or Wyeast 1056

Wash cut remove skin and innards from pumpkin Boil for 20 mins Strain and keep water run meat through blender

return to pot add 1/2 gallon cool water and grains
heat to 155 and hold 45 mins

Strain into brew pot with saved water, and proceed like normal for an extract brew.

Thats a hella lotta black patent! Everything else looks okay for a porter.

OP was talking about Punkin Ale, though. It's a Pumpkin Ale as in 'not a porter'.

Thats a hella lotta black patent! Everything else looks okay for a porter.

OP was talking about Punkin Ale, though. It's a Pumpkin Ale as in 'not a porter'.

Ahhh well that is the recipe in Sam's book.

Has anyone tried the DFH Punkin clone recipe? I'm planning on trying it in a few weeks and would love to hear if it's good.

DFH uses less pumpkin than that recipe. Watch the brewmasters episode where they brewed pumpkin. I think it was something like twenty-six 10lb cans for a 300bbl batch if memory serves me right. Which is roughly 1lb of pumpkin per barrel. Or 5oz pumpkin for a 5gal batch.

I love using about 60oz of pumpkin(2 large cans), but I think if you want to clone the DFH one, use less, like 30oz, or maybe even 15.

You also need brown sugar, they say during the episode they use brown sugar. .25lb to .5lb would be about right. And you'll need more 2 row, their pumpkin is 7% ABV. So try:
(Assuming 82% efficiency)
10lbs 2-row
1lb C60
1lb Special Roast
8oz Brown Sugar
1lb pumpkin in the mash
.66oz Warrior @60
Same spices listed above, but re-hydrate them with water before adding them (they did this on brewmasters)

WLP007 given that DFH uses an english strain as their house yeast. WLP001 (US-05) would also work well. 1.068 OG, 1.015 FG.

I'd imagine that would be pretty close.

the recipe in this thread was for the punkin porter... not the ale... unless that is what you were referring too... :) I am also anxious to see how it turned out... Both the porter and the ale.

Found this one also... on brewbuilder or something like that...
Ingredients:

10 lbs pale 2 row malt

1 lbs Special Roast

1 lbs Crystal 60

1 tablet of whirlfloc – 15 minutes

1 oz. Hallertauer finishing – 5 minutes

Very interested in this beer for fall. How did it come out? What was your final recipe?

I made this recipe last weekend and after having it in the primary for a couple of days i realized i added 1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice instead of 1 1/2 tbsp. Any suggestions on additions to bring this up to the right amount of spice? I figured i could make a spice tea and add it in a secondary or in the bottling bucket but i wasn't sure if i should add the entire difference or if i needed to add part of it because any flavor losses or volume losses that would have happened during the boil and the primary.

1 1/2 tsp of spice is good for 5 gallons. The recipe above lists table spoons which is way to much for 5 gallons. You can add a little more in secondary if there is not enough but it should be subtle not all up in your face.

Back