Two yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sauerj67

Reaction score
Good morning
Yesterday I bottled a Petite Saison D'ete and I put a Oktoberfest to bed for the summer. Two questions: Will Wyeast #3711(French Saison) give a citrousy flavor to the beer? It was almost like a lemon/funk flavor. It tasted good.:drunk:
And my second question was about the Oktober fest: What does Diacytl taste like? Will it have a very oily taste in your mouth, like you just downed a spoonful of cooking oil? Or, is it very faint? When I took a sample before I transfered it I thought I could just barely taste something, but I don't know if that was because I was trying to taste something. I did do a d-rest for 3 days at 68 degrees F. The yeast I used was Wyeast #2633(Octoberfest Lager Blend).

Thanks everyone

I've never experienced something I would call exactly citrus from 3711, but a good dry saison is often a bit tart.

Diacetyl can be overpowering, very subtle, or anything in between. It just depends on how much of it you've got. If you had to fight to taste it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks
ya the saison, I would say it was dry, almost appleish, tart tasting. I was a bit worried that something was wrong but it was the first time making both of these.

Back