Troegs Imperial Nugget Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Wow...does anyone have a recipe for this beer? Very tasty brew. Tried it for the first time today and it is good. I would love to find a clone recipe for this. The hops they use work perfect with the amber malt.

Ok this looks good...

For 5 U.S. gallons (19L)
O.G. 1.075
86.5 IBU
11.4 SRM
90' Boil

6.5 lbs Continental Pils Malt
7.0 lbs Munich Malt
5.0 oz Crystal 120L

1.00 oz 13%aa Nugget 60'
0.50 oz 13%aa Simcoe 30'
1.00 oz 16%aa Warrior 20'
1.25 oz 16%aa Tomahawk 0' or hopback
1.00 oz 8%aa Palisade 0' or hopback
1.00 oz 13%aa Simcoe DH
1.00 oz 8%aa Palisade DH

Cal-Ale yeast

Mash 152F.

Ok this looks good...

Straight from the source...

Gravity is very close and the malt bill looks pretty good, NN is about 2/3 pilsner malt and the rest is Munich and Vienna. So if you can, I'd say get some Vienna in for about 1/2 of that amount, it gives a lot of the orange color of Nugget. The recipe's amt of caramel should be good, as well. Hop bill looks pretty good - lots of hops at every addition!

You may want to adjust your grain bill a tad.:mug:

haha ya just a tad. not sure where zymurgy got that recipe, but IMHO it's nowhere near correct. the actual NN SRM is around 7-8 btw

should fix the hop schedule too: http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/nugget_nectar.aspx

I never said I was actually going to brew this yet. With some adjustments I will go with it. Sorry that your amazing brewing skills and knowledge from being on here so long knows more than myself and others.

easy there, I was just saying that the zymurgy recipe isn't too close to what troegs lists

and yes to the same hops, no to the schedule.

easy there, I was just saying that the zymurgy recipe isn't too close to what troegs lists

and yes to the same hops, no to the schedule.

Are you going to help? What's the "correct" hop schedule?

I'm trying to figure that out myself, but there's a clear difference in the zymurgy and troegs list
troegs boil: nugget, warrior, tomahawk, simcoe, palisade
zymurgy boil: nugget, warrior simcoe
troegs HB: nugget
zymurgy HB: tomahawk, palisade
troegs DH: nugget, warrior
zymurgy DH: simcoe, palisade

See what I was saying above is that when you come here and tell someone they are wrong on a recipe or post please reply why with "your" right way of doing something...thanks

I didn't say you were wrong, I said IMO zymurgy was wrong. anyway, I already tried a go at this so I know the grain bill is pretty close to:
12# pilsner, 3#munich, 3#vienna
and as I said before, I'm still trying to figure out the hop schedule myself, but I think it's somehting like this:
2oz bittering (probably nugget and warrior/tomahawk)
3-4oz flavor (some combo of all 5)
1-2oz hopback nugget
3oz nugget/warrior

edit: hop schedule was based on partial boil, not full

See what I was saying above is that when you come here and tell someone they are wrong on a recipe or post please reply why with "your" right way of doing something...thanks

and ya, definitely didn't get that from what you said before. perhaps it sounded like that from up on your high horse

Here's what I plan on trying. I make no claims that this correct as a clone, since I haven't brewed it yet. Troeg's website doesn't list crystal/caramel in the malts, but I don't see how they get that deep rich amber color without any at all, so I'm going to throw in a little. Also, I'm going to substitute flame-out hop additions, since I don't have a hopback. BTW, I'm drinking the real thing as I type...very tasty brew with a wonderful mix of aromas and flavors!

Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.50 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG
Expected OG: 1.075 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG
Expected ABV: 7.7 %
Expected ABW: 6.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 90.4
Expected Color: 8.5 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
German Pilsner Malt 9lb 0oz (64.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt 2lb 4oz (16.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Dark Munich Malt 2lb 4oz (16.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 6.00 oz (2.7 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Simcoe (13.0 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
US Warrior (15.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (15.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Palisades (9.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
US Warrior (15.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Here's what I plan on trying. I make no claims that this correct as a clone, since I haven't brewed it yet. Troeg's website doesn't list crystal/caramel in the malts, but I don't see how they get that deep rich amber color without any at all, so I'm going to throw in a little. Also, I'm going to substitute flame-out hop additions, since I don't have a hopback. BTW, I'm drinking the real thing as I type...very tasty brew with a wonderful mix of aromas and flavors!

Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.50 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG
Expected OG: 1.075 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG
Expected ABV: 7.7 %
Expected ABW: 6.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 90.4
Expected Color: 8.5 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
German Pilsner Malt 9lb 0oz (64.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt 2lb 4oz (16.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Dark Munich Malt 2lb 4oz (16.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 6.00 oz (2.7 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Simcoe (13.0 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
US Warrior (15.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (15.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Palisades (9.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off
US Nugget (13.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
US Warrior (15.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Let me know how it comes out...

I dont own a horse :D

haha ya sorry long day

artguy: when i tried this i used a similar hop schedule to what you got, and was lacking some in hop flavor and aroma. hopefully the 20mins instead of 25, and the 5min adds (pretty much only differences) will get you the rest of the way there. good luck and let us know how it works out

dcp27: hey man I live in Acton MA if you ever want to get togeather and try to brew this togeather I am all for it. I live right off rt2 in Acton. I have all the stuff we need to brew. Let me know.

dcp27: hey man I live in Acton MA if you ever want to get togeather and try to brew this togeather I am all for it. I live right off rt2 in Acton. I have all the stuff we need to brew. Let me know.

small world, I'm about 1mile off rt 2 myself. I'm down for it, I got 1lb of nugget hops on their way with this in mind anyway

Man, I love the Nugget Nectar, too! All of Troegs' stuff is great. One of my favorite breweries, for sure.

I am definitely interested in hearing about how these come out.

DCP27 - Have you been using a neutral American Ale yeast in your previous attempts with your Nug Nectar clones? If so, what did you think? The reason I ask, is because I always notice similar yeasty characteristics across the board with Troegs various ales (NN, Hopback Amber, Pale ale, Rugged Trail brown, etc.). It seems, IMHO, that their house ale yeast has more character than a std. clean/neutral American ale yeast.

Also interesting that they employ Pilsner as their basemalt across the board.

Good luck to all who are working on brewing this great beer! :mug:

I just used US-05 and it worked out well. About halfway down this article is some tips from one of the founders at Troeg's and he says they just use a clean/neutral yeast: http://***********/component/resource/article/128-american-amber-tips-from-the-pros

In another nugget nectar thread someone was thinking of trying it with burton ale yeast, but I don't think they got around to it yet.

I know this is an old thread, but we did a NN clone and I just bottled it. I also used S-05, and it tastes wonderful.
I also did something pretty unusual. Somehow, when we made this batch (group brew at a friend's house), I ended up short a fermenting lid and airlock. I just put a solid lid on it and cracked it a bit, intending to swap out the lid when I got home. Then I figured what the hell, I just left it that way. When it came time to dry hop it, I just tossed the 1 oz of Palisade and Simcoe right in the primary and left it for 10 days.
It had a noticeable layer of hops on top, but racked it into my bottling bucket as usual. I think I lost about a gallon or more to trub, probably due to the massive amount of hops. Anyway, there is going to be no doubt that these beers are going to be lively when they are opened. I primed it with 5 oz of corn sugar. That is probably 3.5.

I did a tweaked version and won BOS for 1st round at Wash DC Homebrewers competition in August. I used a leftover .5 lb honey in last 10 minutes. Needless to say, this was an awesome batch.

So sorry to bring up a dead thread but @Starderup and @Sheldon, I would be interested to see your recipes as I would love to brew something along these lines and the whole thread is back and forth on what is good and what wasn't.
Thanks!

I would also like a solid answer on what the best clone has been. I plan to brew up a batch in early 2012 so it will be ready to compare with fresh NN this spring.

Back