anyone have a good bigfoot barley wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember where I came across this but here ya go:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
US Pale Ale Malt 19.00 lbs 88.4 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 2.00 lbs 9.3 % In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 0.25 lbs 1.2 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 0.25 lbs 1.2 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
1 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 75 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 5 min.)
0.5 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 5 min.)

Dry Hop in secondary 14 days with:
0.5 oz Chinook
0.5 oz Centennial
0.5 oz Cascade

You'd probably need about 14 lbs of extract to do it instead of all grain.

There's a recipe in the book Beer Captured, and off the top of my head it seems very close to the above posted recipe. If anyone has a copy close by please chime in.

Brewsmith said:
There's a recipe in the book Beer Captured, and off the top of my head it seems very close to the above posted recipe. If anyone has a copy close by please chime in.
Here ya go:
Bigfoot Barley Wine

13 oz. US 60°L Crystal Malt
8¾ lbs. Extra Light DME
4 lbs. Pale LME
2½ oz. Nugget @ 12% AA (30 HBU) (bittering hop)
1 oz. Cascade (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 oz. Cascade (aroma hop)
1 pkg. Wyeast 1056 American Ale or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1028 London Ale
¼ oz. Cascade (dry hop)
¼ oz. Cascade (dry hop)
1¼ cup Wheat DME (priming)

OG: 1.102 – 1.105
FG: 1.023 – 1.026
SRM: 16
IBU: 100
ABV: 10.0%

Method:
Heat 1 gallon of water to 155°F. Remove the pot from the heat and steep the specialty grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Strain the water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1 gallon of 150°F water. Bring the water to a boil, remove from the heat and add the Malt Extract and bittering hop. Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 4 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add theflavor hop and Irish Moss. Boil for 14 minutes and add the aroma hops. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5⅛ gallons. When the wort temperature is below 80°F, pitch the yeast. Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter and add dry hops. Prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 8 weeks) with priming extract that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70°F for approximately 5 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Wild

And an update to the previous post now that I have the book in front of me, to change the recipe to all-grain substitute the extract for 19 lbs of 2-row and use 20% less bittering hops.

Raising the dead before Halloween.

Damn, I'd like to make this but I really don't think my 5 gallon cooler mash tun can handle a 20lb grain bill. I guess I could use the LME..

Here ya go:
Bigfoot Barley Wine

13 oz. US 60°L Crystal Malt
8¾ lbs. Extra Light DME
4 lbs. Pale LME
2½ oz. Nugget @ 12% AA (30 HBU) (bittering hop)
1 oz. Cascade (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 oz. Cascade (aroma hop)
1 pkg. Wyeast 1056 American Ale or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1028 London Ale
¼ oz. Cascade (dry hop)
¼ oz. Cascade (dry hop)
1¼ cup Wheat DME (priming)

OG: 1.102 – 1.105
FG: 1.023 – 1.026
SRM: 16
IBU: 100
ABV: 10.0%

Method:
Heat 1 gallon of water to 155°F. Remove the pot from the heat and steep the specialty grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Strain the water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1 gallon of 150°F water. Bring the water to a boil, remove from the heat and add the Malt Extract and bittering hop. Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 4 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add theflavor hop and Irish Moss. Boil for 14 minutes and add the aroma hops. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5⅛ gallons. When the wort temperature is below 80°F, pitch the yeast. Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter and add dry hops. Prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 8 weeks) with priming extract that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70°F for approximately 5 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Wild

I am going to brew a 10 Gallon batch of this, or similar to this on Friday. But when I put this recipe into brewtarget I got around 60 IBUs, no where near 100.

Anyone else get similar results?

Edit: the recipe does not mention the AA of the Cascade? And the hops are not what is posted on their site:

alcohol content 9.6% by volume
yeast Ale Yeast

beginning gravity 23.0 Plato
ending gravity 6.0 Plato

bitterness units 90
bittering hops Chinook
finishing hops Cascade & Centennial
dry hopping Cascade, Centennial & Chinook

malts Two-row Pale & English Caramel

Latest posts

Back