Commercial kegs on ball lock corny system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I currently have a ball lock quick disconnect system for my keezer/tower setup , and I was wondering if it is possible for me to get commercial kegs or kegs from local microbreweries hooked up to my system? I know that the micros don't use corny kegs. I am still a noob when it comes to this kegging stuff, so I don't know if there is an adapter that is easy to connect or what. If it is a big expense and hassle then no biggie. It would just be nice to have the option of getting a small keg of local micros once in awhile.

You're not going to find a tap system like you use for homebrew (corny's) on the commercial (sanke) kegs. Your best solution is to buy a Sanke tap. I was lucky enough to find an old hand pump type tap (the ones you see used at keggers) and converted it to use with the co2 system I have for my kegerator. Cheers!
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

I have my sankey coupler hooked to a party pump (black plastic spout) i just swap a c02 line out and can fit a 1/6 barrel in where my cornie usually is.

mbird... do you have info on the conversion of that hand pump? I have one I had not thought about in a while...

As to the sanke switch, I know it is possible, as the description on kegconnection.com for the fridge coversion I did says:
"Also, easily modified for Sanke (I can help you set up a quick switch system to go from Cornelius to Sanke with a few turns of a swivel nut!)"
Call them, I am sure they will help if no one here chimes in.

I found a local brewery that will fill my corny for the same price as a 1/6th, they even slap 30PSI on it before they hand it back to me.

I bought 2 of my cornies from one of the brewers there.

I bought a kit that allows me to switch back and forth between Sanke and Corny. I usually have my Cornies on it, but since the kegerator I bought off of Craigslist had a Sanke tap inside, I needed the conversion. Now I can do both!

It looked like this, but I think I paid $18 or so for it from a different vendor that I can't find right now (Williams is sky-high on some things!).

I agree with Arkador. I have the sanke tap to homebrew conversion kit and it is entirely convenient. I can switch my bar over from a corny to a sanke in all of 10 seconds.

One way to go is to add a dedicated sankey tap...

I have a two tap tower that both came with sankey's, so I left one on and fitted the other with ball lock connection.

Also, since the keg place I love (uber tavern in seattle) seems to deal mostly in half barrels, the sixths are usually a special deal. They're the same size as a corny and extremely easy to connect/disconnect etc.

Back