Brewing Software for MAC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerAlchemy and Beer Tools Pro both run on OSX; you can get Beersmith to run if you install Parallels.

I used both Beer Alchemy and BTP; I prefer BTP.

Great thanks....

I'm trying both of them out. I can't quite decide which works better for me.

quick plug for brewblogger... you can run the software in the default web space on your mac. obviously a bit more involved with the need for a web server and mysql... very nice for anywhere access however ;)

I really like Homebrew Formulator. I've been using it since I went all-grain about 2 years ago. It's a really nice balance of user friendly and what I'll call "tweaky." I've tried demos of Beer Tools Pro and Beer Smith; I'm sure they're great but I felt like Homebrew Formulator was a lot easier to use without being dumbed down.

I have beer alchemy and btp, and prefer beer alchemy. I like being able to see my target numbers and actual numbers side by side. Although it's inventory system is useless

I really like Homebrew Formulator. I've been using it since I went all-grain about 2 years ago. It's a really nice balance of user friendly and what I'll call "tweaky." I've tried demos of Beer Tools Pro and Beer Smith; I'm sure they're great but I felt like Homebrew Formulator was a lot easier to use without being dumbed down.

I have tried to get Hombrew Formulator several times and the link from Version Tracker is missing for some reason. Is there another way to get it?

The developer abandoned the project and took down everything related from the original site. His last gift was BeerXML export so those who wish to move on, can.

Me? I still use it, and have entered fermentables and other missing items as I come across them. The program still suits my needs, especially for the price ;)

Some quality time with Google provided one of the few remaining live mirrors...

Homebrew Formulator

I use beer tools pro. It is a little hard to get going, but there are some tutorial on youtube that really are helpful!

I use beer tools pro. It is a little hard to get going, but there are some tutorial on youtube that really are helpful!

Bobby_M's? I have an Old laptop with BS on it...but might invest in BTP for the MAC since im always on it.

I use BTP and like it except for getting mash schedules into it properly. I have been i the habit of taking an obnoxious amount of notes during my brew sessions for the last few months and I am at the point now that I am simply referring to my notes for similar batches as opposed to trying to get my mash schedule set up correctly in BTP.

I use BTP really only for recipe construction, storage and computing the basics like ABV, SRM, etc... and I do like the comparison to BJCP style that it does.

But for mash schedules... like I was saying, I have found taking and then referring back to notes from actual brew sessions is a lot easier and accurate.

Instead of BTP telling me my infusion rate should be... for example... 5 gallons at 175 degrees... I'll go back to last time I made the beer (or one very similar to it). If I did an infusion of 5 gallons at 175, I'll record what my mash ended up at... and if I short armed the target temp slightly, I'll try 5 gallons at 180... and make a note of it.

Going this route has made a huge difference in getting things right.

Tried all of the free trials-BTP, BA, BT, always return to Homebrew Formulator. It just works for me. Even the SRM screen colors match the resultant beer!

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Beer alchemy, hands down. I have been a Mac cat for a very long time. BA has been very reliable. You will not regret your purchase. I can develop recipes away from home and sync with my home Mac. I am very happy with Beer Alchemy! (I have also tried BTP, not that great).

beer alchemy, hands down. I have been a mac cat for a very long time. Ba has been very reliable. You will not regret your purchase. I can develop recipes away from home and sync with my home mac. I am very happy with beer alchemy! (i have also tried btp, not that great).

+1

BeerAlchemy is a VERY nice program. I like that if you only want to use it for recipe storage, you can. If you'd like to go further and make batches out of those recipes, then you can do that as well. I'm also a stickler for interface design and BeerAlchemy is well thought out and easy to use.

I'm also using BeerAlchemy and am really liking it. I'm looking forward to seeing what advances he has made with the full re-write to version 2.0. Also iBrewMaster is headed to the Mac and I believe he will have a demo at GABF. Hoping to check it out while I'm there as I really like his iOS app.

I use Beer Tools Pro and out of all of them the interface is cleaner and easier to use.

Beer Alchemy here. Used most of the trials and preferred BA. The iPhone app put me over the top too. Just made a recipe on my phone at lunch!

Back