Improving Attenuation - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Beer Friends,
I have just finished a repeat of one of my award winning (humble version) of my Oktoberfest.
However, I was expecting a TG = 1.012-1.014, but yielded a TG = 1.022.
Essentially, it turned out way to sweet and I got a terrible attenuation of yeast.
Used the White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest Yeast strain.
Any thoughts on how to improve attenuation?

If I need to throw out some more data here to get better direction let me know.
Thanks,
Chicagobluesman

Use a larger starter (its slow yeast), or alternativly use WLP830, which finishes dryer.

To get the best attenuation out of a specific yeast possible,make up a starter, thouroughly aerate the wort and ferment at the lower end of the recommended temperature range without fluctuations.

Chicagobluesman,

How do you know that it should have finished at 1.012-1.014 ?

As the others said. Pitch more yeast (large starter) and aerate better. Another thing that helps me with lagers is raising the temp towards the end of the fermentation. Though tought of as the diacetyl rest, it also has the benefit of helping the yeast to get the last remaining sugars. Towards the end of the fermentation the production of esters and fusels is done and fermentation temp has little effect on creating more.

Kai

I came across this thread on a UK forum about a dry beer enzyme. I've never tried it, and if I did it would be to solve the problem you described. Prevention is better than cure, so the best thing is to aerate well and pitch more yeast as the others have said. Also if you're brewing from grain have a look at your temperature steps.

Great link Mysterio
028.gif
042.gif

I'd be careful with the use of enzymes in the fermenter. There is no way to stop them and you may end up with rocket-fuel.

Kai

Thanks. Yes, while doing some research yesterday I've decided I'm going to start using a yeast starter. I've much success to date without it, but I may as well improve technique where I can. Cheers!

Back