will nylon bags melt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
Just wondering if I have to worry about nylon bags melting if I use them for hop additions. I bought one for dry hopping and was wondering if it would be safe to use them for hops in the boil. Any help appreciated.

fine in the boil if you keep it off the bottom of the kettle. you need to keep it suspended, or yes, it WILL melt on the bottom of the kettle.

Paint strainer bags are made of nylon and I've never had them melt in the wort. I use the 1 gallon size for hop additions.

get bags that you can hang over side or suspend so they don't touch the bottom, where the direct flame on the metal pot does make it hot enough to melt nylon. If it's in the wort, it won't get melted so long as it doesn't touch the bottom.

search for the "hop sack" that many of us have built. Super easy and convenient for your hops in the boil.

Mine is a hybrid of you two. I've got all-thread, but two pieces going all the way through for four arms. :) I have a standard pot, so I threw on some washers sandwiched by nuts to make sort of grips so it sits just so on the pot rim. I can only fit a smallish spoon in past the crossing all-thread, though, so a bolt-nut setup like Sparky's might be a better idea.

I like this, though. When I'm done brewing, I lift by the all-thread, lean over the side so the bag stays in the kettle up against my wort chiller, and I spin it like a ship's wheel. This shrinks the bag expelling it's moisture. I'm left with a solid mass of hop solids with most of the wort wrung out of it, and I set it aside to cool and dispose of.

Back