The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fijidave12 said:
are there any advantages of rhizomes over crowns? I'm leaning towards the crowns through GLH.

You got it backwards. Crowns are 1 year old rhizomes so the advantage is + 1 year. GLH is awesome they let me pick the ship date and alot of people(not me) got an extra crown for FREE.
plus I've emailed GLH 10 times back and forth with good quick info returned everytime.

You got it backwards. Crowns are 1 year old rhizomes so the advantage is + 1 year. GLH is awesome they let me pick the ship date and alot of people(not me) got an extra crown for FREE.
plus I've emailed GLH 10 times back and forth with good quick info returned everytime.

No, I realize that the crowns are at least 1 year old vs the rhizomes. What I was wondering was there any advantages of the rhizomes over crowns. Besides the price factor, it didn't seem there were any other advantages and that crowns were the way to go.

Did you email them at their gmail account?

Fijidave12 said:
No, I realize that the crowns are at least 1 year old vs the rhizomes. What I was wondering was there any advantages of the rhizomes over crowns. Besides the price factor, it didn't seem there were any other advantages and that crowns were the way to go.

Did you email them at their gmail account?

Ok. Yes [email protected]. Lynn is very helpful and informative. Even though I allowed my plants to get frosted and deprived them of nutrients until recently they are still growing. On the other hand a couple of my arrowhead rhizomes have almost caught up to the GLH crowns. Reasons already stated. Live and learn. Ya know.

Thanks dude. That's what I used earlier. Pretty cool that they give a 10% discount on their Facebook page. Can't complain about that.

Any of you Tennessee Red Wing fans, I challenge you to a bet. Preds vs. Red Wings, loser of the series has to buy the winner a six pack, or bomber, or whatever beer of the winner's choice not to exceed $20.

Any takers?

This Red Wings fan says you're on!

I will take a six pack or bomber of whatever beer is your favorite (that you can easily purchase). :tank: See you tomorrow.

I'd tell Bobby he threw a great party, but he wouldn't be able to read it anyways. I say we all go on a hunger strike until Bobby is unbanned, oh wait, is that bacon I smell....

Hop overload!

2012-04-29_10-16-24_591.jpg

I'm going to do an inventory, I may be able to sell some of these if anyone's interested(definitely the leaf hops). I hate hop hoarders.

In leaf I have Amarillo, Mt.Hood, Perle, and Magnum, the first three are in 4oz bags still sealed from fresh hops. The Magnum is vacuum sealed, there's 3.5 ounces. All last years crop, and always stored in the freezer.

A second grain buy has been started. Send me an email if you want a link to it. And please check your damn email first. I have already sent a link to some of you. Also, I will send another useful link as well. [email protected]

wildwest450 said:
Hop overload!

I'm going to do an inventory, I may be able to sell some of these if anyone's interested(definitely the leaf hops). I hate hop hoarders.

In leaf I have Amarillo, Mt.Hood, Perle, and Magnum, the first three are in 4oz bags still sealed from fresh hops. The Magnum is vacuum sealed, there's 3.5 ounces. All last years crop, and always stored in the freezer.

I'd be interested in the Amarillo.

Holy ****balls! What happened to stevo? I mean... Buttery beer or no, yall shouldn't try to kill him! Hate that I missed it but I was moving into the house had me swamped.

Oh my... that looks extremely painful. Terminator-esque.

Note to self... check hose clamps on next brew.

Hardly noticed till last night. Looks worse than it feels. Hands just a little red. Deflesher APA.

HOLY SH*t!!! Were you wearing flip flops or something??? wtf? That looks painful as hell. that is one of the reasons I never use hose barbs. I use QD's and the high temp hose is screwed onto the threads of the camlocks or the 90* street.

opening this up to a contest...Name the APA....

I am going with.....Holy Sh*t, my ankle is melting APA!

J-Malone said:
HOLY SH*t!!! Were you wearing flip flops or something??? wtf? That looks painful as hell. that is one of the reasons I never use hose barbs. I use QD's and the high temp hose is screwed onto the threads of the camlocks or the 90* street.

opening this up to a contest...Name the APA....

I am going with.....Holy Sh*t, my ankle is melting APA!

No. Good thing I wasn't wearing flip flops. Would have been worse. It was Bobby's rig. I asked for four hose clamps and recieved two. What's funny is he has two sacks of mcmaster QD's sitting in the shed.

Hello fellow brewers ( or soon to be),
I'm just trying to get started in the brewing world and would love to be able to meet some brew folk in the area. My name is John and I live in Columbia tn. If anyone is interested in being a mentor or just a friend to help me get started and just hang out with good hearted people please send me a message with your name and contact info.

ya that does look horrible alot worse than I had pictured it. It might have looked better with flip flops honestly you know it hit the sock and soaked in and stayed there just still burning as for the flops it would have hit and slid to the ground not sticking as it did with the socks.

It was the flesh eating apa

For those who didn't witness Stevo's run-in with the flesh eating wort... don't be too quick to name this APA yet. There was also glass that shattered and slashed Bobby's hand up. Paul and I looked over and he's got it wrapped up with his hand covered in blood and running down his arm.

I dub this...

Die Hard: Brew with a Vengeance.

Hello fellow brewers ( or soon to be),
I'm just trying to get started in the brewing world and would love to be able to meet some brew folk in the area. My name is John and I live in Columbia tn. If anyone is interested in being a mentor or just a friend to help me get started and just hang out with good hearted people please send me a message with your name and contact info.

You are quite a bit away from me, but maybe we'll see you at some of the get togethers. Welcome aboard loki.

So I take it at the next get-together someone's going to fall in and be boiled alive.

Maybe we should have it at my place with a nice safe 10 gallon cooler setup.

maffewl said:
For those who didn't witness Stevo's run-in with the flesh eating wort... don't be too quick to name this APA yet. There was also glass that shattered and slashed Bobby's hand up. Paul and I looked over and he's got it wrapped up with his hand covered in blood and running down his arm.

I dub this...

Die Hard: Brew with a Vengeance.

Wow, I was mad I couldn't make it, but now I'm thinking it was good for my health!

When is the APA get together again? I just managed to sneak in a brew day after work yesterday, citra APA.

Stevo2569 said:
No. Good thing I wasn't wearing flip flops. Would have been worse. It was Bobby's rig. I asked for four hose clamps and recieved two. What's funny is he has two sacks of mcmaster QD's sitting in the shed.

Damn Bobby's probably holding them to make a buck. Not for brewing convenience!

Where and when and what are the get togethers? Is there a brewing club or something that I can join?

Where and when and what are the get togethers? Is there a brewing club or something that I can join?

You are already in the club... welcome to the Misfits of Brewing Science. :mug: We just met up to pick up some hops from a group buy... the next get together will probably be for the grain buy pick up. (We just started that... if you want in the buy... pm Fijidave12).

Anyone here have interest in some 5 gallon ball lock kegs? I'm considering getting rid of 4 of mine and replacing them with 3 gallon kegs.

Back