Putting a dye in your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this? What's the best way to add food coloring to my beer?

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

I was probably just going to add it at bottling time. Either to the whole batch in the bottling bucket, or a drop to each bottle.

Anyone have experience with this?

Well around st paddy's day, at least once a week (actually more like once a day) someone starts a thread asking about dying their beer green...

And we ridicule the heck out of them...

:D

Would Angelina Jolie look better with three tits?

Well DUH!!!! Of course she would...Angelina Jolie looks hot no matter what...

She'd even look good greenish blue with a shaven head...

154767VCeB_w.jpg

3 bewbies = 3 times the fun...:D

Thanks guys! I just spewed Dr. Pepper on my computer screen in front of my boss.... and now I have a stupid grin that won't go away.....

Ahoy hoy,
I cannot say that I have done it myself, and, I must say, what I have seen was done to BMC style bright yellow fizz, but, at the catholic school i attended growing up in Detroit during the 60s, every st Paddys day, they had a St Paddys day party in the "blue room". A band of priests would play irish music all day, while the parishoners would suck down pitcher after pitcher of green beer. And us kids would run around, and gather the backwash from the bottom of them pitchers, and have us some green beer and play poker for money.
Yes, I know Im going to hell, but that wasnt the question. :drunk:
As far as I know they just added food grade green to the beer. So, it can be done, and it doesnt have any noticeable effect on the taste. Does turn your tongue lizard green though!
FYI
A great day to all!

Back in my college days, we decided to have green beer for St. Paddy's day. Being idiot college boys, we decided that since yellow + blue = green, we'd add blue food color to Keystone Light to make green beer.

It worked, and we all got druck. Everybody woke up the next morning with a blue tongue, though. No more green beer for me, color or age, thanks.

food coloring shouldn't ruin your beer, but it will ruin an otherwise perfect batch of pancakes if you put it in your mom's milk on april fool's day! Not sure why, but they tasted just like green cardboard, and we had to eat them all! (i think she made 'em taste like crap on purpose just to get us back)

Later,

Jesus H Christ!! How on Earth could dye improve a beer? Would Angelina Jolie look better with three tits?

She'd look better without all those godforsaken tattoos. LG, you seem to reference this girl an awful lot. Is there something you'd like to share with the group?:D

Jesus H Christ!! How on Earth could dye improve a beer? Would Angelina Jolie look better with three tits?

Who in the world suggested it would improve the beer? Not the OP. I was just curious if it would HURT the beer in anyway.

It's being done as a joke but I want the beer to still be drinkable. No one suggested it would improve the beer.

Who in the world suggested it would improve the beer? Not the OP. I was just curious if it would HURT the beer in anyway.

It's being done as a joke but I want the beer to still be drinkable. No one suggested it would improve the beer.

Lighten up, Francis!!:D

For best flavor results you might want to start with a dry food coloring and make your own paste/liquid coloring to add.

Some of the store bought food coloring products contain funky additives.

POLIZEI! Hier will jemand gegen das REINHEITSGEBOT handeln. Das ist VERBOTEN! VER-BO-TEN!!!! POLIZEI!!!

Lighten up, Francis!!:D

You're seriously not that funny. I was just asking a real beer related question. I have no problem messing around but I don't think I need to lighten up because I was asking a real question. Thanks for your response though.

To give you a serious answer, add 1 drop to the glass/mug, then pour on top of it. A little goes a long way! FYI, it seems to kill head retention with the green dye that I used just now.

And I can't believe I actually did this and am now drinking a green Koelsch.

Mangine77, I apologise if you took offence to my post. It was only intended to be light hearted. I had assumed that the nature of the OP, re: dying beer was a frivolous idea, and the thread could be treated in that manner as well as people giving useful advice.

Had the thread been about infection, oxidisation etc. I would not have treated it with any attempt at humour (No matter how poor my humour is)

anyways, I'm sorry for any offence taken.

Mangine77, I apologise if you took offence to my post. It was only intended to be light hearted. I had assumed that the nature of the OP, re: dying beer was a frivolous idea, and the thread could be treated in that manner as well as people giving useful advice.

Had the thread been about infection, oxidisation etc. I would not have treated it with any attempt at humour (No matter how poor my humour is)

anyways, I'm sorry for any offence taken.

Oh, no offense taken man. I was just looking for a real answer and I got one. I'm seriously not an uptight person. I just didn't want to ruin my beer:cross:

Very little goes a long way. I've done two drops in a pitcher and they pulled the beer onto that and it had a green tinge to it.

I'd rather eat Lucky Charms with Guinness though. Otherwise it looks like your making time with

Orion_slave_girls.jpg

I made green beer for st paddy's day one year. A pilsner, with 4 drops of blue food coloring in the bottling bucket. Green will work too. Taste doesn't change at all.

Very little goes a long way. I've done two drops in a pitcher and they pulled the beer onto that and it had a green tinge to it.

I'd rather eat Lucky Charms with Guinness though. Otherwise it looks like your making time with

Orion_slave_girls.jpg

DUDE, with bodies like that, color doesn't matter at all! I'd still shag it....:ban:

I was at my favorite local bar on St. Patty's Day, having an Irish Coffee. (It was early in the morning) And someone walks in and asks what kind of green beer they have. The bartender/owner, whose a freind of mine answers. "What kind do you want?" Guy says "Coors light". The bartender goes "That's what we have". Not 5 minutes later the another person walks in and asks the same question and got the same response, to which he answers Bud Light. Bartender answers the "That's what we have".

After a minute or two he comes over and I asked him about it. He told me that the beer was actually keystone as they were the only ones who the distributor would allow to be pre-greened into the keg. He then said that anyone who would put green food coloring into a BMC beer wouldn't know the difference anyway.

He was right.

Latest posts

Back