first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
So, brewday today was a first for me on two fronts. I brewed one beer, racked another to secondary, and kegged a third all in one day. Never worked on all three phases all in one day, but then again I used to bottle and that's a PITA. but even better, the beer I brewed was my first AG brew (Biermuncher's C3C ale). I only hit 65% efficiency, whereas I got 75% on the mash portion of a partial mash last 3 weeks ago. So that was disappointing, but I had accidentally scaled the recipe down to 5 gallons incorrectly, and I actually hit the OG perfectly once it was all said an done. The beers I racked both tasted pretty good, and I've got high hopes for the C3C, So it looks like I'll have my kegerator filled pretty soon!

Hercules Rockefeller - Hey welcome to AG, that sounds like my normal brew day.
Need to bottle a couple of bottles to free up a keg, clean it, need to rack from secondary/primary to keg to free up that container. Clean it, Rack primary to secondary, clean that. All this while I'm doing an AG batch so I can put it in the primary when done.
Needless to say, I'm pretty tired after that, back is hurting and I'm having yet another homebrew.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I want to brew the C3C really bad but i am going to try Jamil's cream ale recipe from brewing classic styles first.

I did Jamil's cream ale AG w/corn and the cow-orkers like it more than I do. And there was some weird lightweight (protein?) floaties that guess was a function of the corn. 4wks in the bottle and an overnight stay in the fridge seems to settle out most of them.

Thanks for the congrats guys!

I can't say how good it is to get back in the flow of brewing. In between moving and some other family issues there was about a 4 month period in which I only got one batch done. Now I've got 3 in the pipeline. My wife and I are expecting a second asst. Brewer on the first, and I've got 4 weeks approved off after that. I may need some more fermenters...

Thanks for the congrats guys!

I can't say how good it is to get back in the flow of brewing. In between moving and some other family issues there was about a 4 month period in which I only got one batch done. Now I've got 3 in the pipeline. My wife and I are expecting a second asst. Brewer on the first, and I've got 4 weeks approved off after that. I may need some more fermenters...

Life just can't get any better!

Cheers! :mug:

Back