Hop Schedules...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this table?

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

Questions:
Does everyone agree with this?

If I understand correctly, does this mean the best time to get the most out of hops for bitterness, flavor & aroma is 60 min, 20 min, & 7 min respectively?

If this is so, then why do recipes that aim for extreme hop aroma, dry hop? Why not add the full aroma hop bill all @ 7 minutes?

Same question goes for flavoring...why not add it all at 20 minutes to maximize the amount of flavor you get from your addition?

End question: So for most IPA recipes and the like, why not have only three hop additions, @ only 60, 20 and 7? (unless of course, you want a smaller amount of aroma or flavoring from each addition, but then that poses another question...why not still add your hops at 60, 20 & 7, but add only a smaller amount to get the flavor/aroma you're looking for?)

Hope this makes sense.

Dry hopping provides a different hop aroma than hops added to the boil, so that is why brewers do that. You get the aroma of the fresh hop.

Just from experience, I tend to agree with that table on flavor and bitterness, except that I typically notice less of a difference in flavor between 15 and 20 minute additions. I also notice more aroma from a 15 minute addition than reflected in that table. Flavor and aroma perception are so subjective, though, it is hard to really advise on the table's accuracy.

What that table is good for is figuring how to maximize your compromises. For example, if you want to get a little aroma and a little more flavor from a single addition, consider adding at 10 minutes.

Mostly, I am glad yoy linked to that table. I have it in my files and have even posted it, but I could not remember where in the heck I got it!

TL

Back