Getting kolsh-like aroma: yeast, or ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster-D

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering on some feedback on a new brew im about to embark on. I have a wheat-beer extract, to which I am planning on adding orange peel and corriander to make it into a Hoegaarden-type beer.
I had a kolsh brew at a local brewpub, and I very much liked the nice aromas the beer had. I was thinking of tryin to achieve these aromas in my hoegaarden clone. To get those nice kolsh aromas, should I use a specific type of yeast, tweak other ingredients, or am i trying to mix in together too many different beer qualities that may not work/ may conflict? Any opinions?

Thanks!

D.

A Koelsch is a very smooth and cleanly fermented beer. The yeast used doesn't produce many esters like other ale yeasts and it is cold lagered like true lagers are. This said I'd say it's not the yeast that created these aromas. The only aroma a Koelsh has, is a light to medium aroma of noble Hops (Saaz for example).

But oftentimes the various interpretation of a Koelsch style beer may be quite different from the standard and there may have been other aroma's in the Koelsh style beer you had.

Kai

Back